Phonics and Handwriting

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Danielln1548

Phonics and Handwriting

Post by Danielln1548 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:30 pm

My daughter starts LHFHG this year so I am looking through the curriculum. I noticed “the Reading Lesson” starts out with letters c o s a t and recommends following along with handwriting practice. We chose “Handwriting K” when we bought curriculum and I see it is methodically progressing through letters with similar stroke patterns... staring with o c a d g q and so on. Clearly each book is in a particular order good reason... but she will be learning to write different letters than she’s learning to read. Should I skip to write what she’s learning to read, or leave both as they are? Thanks for the advice, just doesn’t add up quite right in my mind!

Rice

Re: Phonics and Handwriting

Post by Rice » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:14 am

Don't worry about the order being different in the two different portions of HOD's LA. They don't contradict each other. At first it will mean more learned at the same time, but shortly they will be overlapping and supplementing each other. Your daughter will figure it out! :D

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Robbi

Re: Phonics and Handwriting

Post by Robbi » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:30 pm

I agree with Rice, just do each book in order it will out ok. I'm about to start my last kiddo in LHFHG!!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!