WH Biology

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
chillin'inandover

WH Biology

Post by chillin'inandover » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:32 am

I see that WH has an updated, 4th edition Biology. I have a few questions as I ponder my plans for the following year.
Does the new Biology in World History include a schedule?
How does the content compare to the previous edition?
I have the previous edition DVDs, can these be used with the 4th edition?
What changes were made to the 4th edition?
Thank you,
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

my3sons

Re: WH Biology

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi Tammy!

This Biology science resource has recently been revised by the publisher to create a new 4th Edition. Since this revision is a major one, requiring a complete rewrite of 140 daily plans and key ideas, we will not be doing a stuffer and are in the process of updating the World History guide.

Though the new Biology will have some recognized text from the old Biology paces, the text has different segues and a different order, so the old and the new resources, including the 12 DVD set, really can’t be mixed and matched. The DVD labs will now be free online instead of needing to be purchased on DVD. If you don’t have Internet access and happen to own the old DVD, you could potentially still have your students watch the old labs on the DVD for lab credit, as they’ll still be credit worthy. Either way, this new edition is similar in scope and sequence, so it will still be worth one full credit in Biology with lab.

For those who have already very recently purchased the World History guide along with the Biology PACEs, we will be sending the newly revised guide as soon as it comes back from the printer. The new guide will also be in color!

For those of you who purchased the World History guide from us in the past and are now in need of the updated Biology plans, we are offering to replace your old guide with our new World History guide for 50% off. If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please just let us know.

We are expecting our new World History guide to be back from the printer by mid-August.

Blessings!
Mike and Carrie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:29 am

Julie,
Thank you for your response. Wow, the new guide is in color! HOD has been busy with this project to update 140 lessons. Thank you, HOD.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:32 am

That's really great news, Mike and Carrie! Count me in for getting the new guide!! :)

As for the new 4th edition biology, it's really wonderful! ;) It's a beautiful edition with bright colorful pages and updated graphics that include the questions right in the text where they apply, instead of a pull-out activity section. Labs are listed in the text where they should be done, and direct the students how to access the lab video online (a VERY nice feature, including newly recorded updated labs).

I used the older version with my oldest two sons, and the new version last year for my daughter. She absolutely loved biology, and learned SO much. She would tell you it was one of her favorites last year! ;) This update was very much needed, and made a really good course, into a really great course!! :D
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:25 pm

Ladies,

I am so glad you are excited that the World History guide will now be in color! :D We are very excited as well! :!: We are moving each of our guides to color as they go into a reprint. It will take us about 18 months - 2 years to move all of the guides over to color (as some had just gone into a reprint before we made the decision to move to color). Color guides are such a fun development!! :D

I am glad to hear Lisa that your daughter enjoyed the new Biology. I agree with everything you said in your comments about the positives of the changes to the latest edition of the Biology. We are so blessed to be able to partner with companies to use such outstanding resources in our curriculum!

Thanks for sharing! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:32 pm

It looks like the videos for the 4th edition are mostly the labs and not as extensive as the dvds (althought the videos look fantastic!). How much of what was covered in the dvds previously will we be missing out on in the 4th edition? I was reading Carrie's original thread introducing the WH science, and it seemed like the dvds were a very helpful component that expanded on each chapter.

Thanks,
Kathy