How is evolution approached?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Bijou

How is evolution approached?

Post by Bijou » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:59 pm

I have been weighing my options very heavily as far as what program to use moving forward. One of the things that is very important to us is how evolution is approached. We don't shy away from it completely with our kids, but we want to make sure the materials we use align with our beliefs as well. I have also been looking at using Ambleside Online, but concerns creep into my heart about several of their book choices. I know it's a great program, but when I read through their forum and start to see people saying that their kids are starting to question their beliefs due to certain books that are scheduled, it seriously gives me pause. Most of the books mentioned that cause this are some of the science books that are scheduled. We are young earth creationists and we teach our kids from that view. Many of the AO books teach from an old earth perspective and do such because Charlotte Mason herself, although a Christian, held to a belief in evolution, as was popular in her day. My question then is, how does HOD teach these things?
Thanks!
Jodi
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

StephanieU

Re: How is evolution approached?

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:48 am

HOD teachers a literal 6 day creation. Before MtMM, only a few books even mention millions of years or other references to evolution or the gap theory. Carrie either leaves notes about these in the guide or skips those sections completely (the first few chapters of Child's History of the World are skipped for example). In MtMM, they do a study about evolution. This study doesn't outright say evolution is completely wrong, but it points out the problems with evolution.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:13 pm

Yes, and in addition to Young Earth/literal 6 day creation, HOD books in mid-elementary/early middle school go on to explain about dinosaurs: present on the Ark, fossils due to the flood, died out due to climate changing post-flood (Ice Age, etc.), the source of most dragon tales throughout various cultures, etc. So "issues" that others have with young earth beliefs are addressed, not just glossed over. My oldest 3 came to HOD in middle school (from AO, incidentally) and now scoff at evolution. <3

The evolution/DNA study in MTMM is excellent, too.

In high school, there are some history texts that do allude to millions of years, but at this point my kids have been old enough to point out those errors, not merely swallow them as truth.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Bijou

Post by Bijou » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:02 pm

Rice,
"My oldest 3 came to HOD in middle school (from AO, incidentally) and now scoff at evolution."

Would you say that some of the materials used in AO could actually cause kids to question the truth of the Bible? I have heard other parents say this exact thing which is another reason why I am hesitant to get on the AO train completely.
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

Rice

Post by Rice » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:39 pm

Bijou wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:02 pm
Would you say that some of the materials used in AO could actually cause kids to question the truth of the Bible?
I wouldn't say that. (They *could* but I don't have any basis on which to assume they would.) I don't think my kids questioned the Bible at all when we switched from AO. That certainly wasn't one of my considerations in switching. Maybe that's as much due to our discussions (how we discussed them, reasons for believing or disagreeing with the texts, and my ability to see errors and point them out - one of the downsides of AO is no guide pointing out things we might wish to discuss; how many did I miss?), as opposed to exactly which books were scheduled.

I have a wonderful Christian friend whose kids did AO through Year 7 (PS for 9-12), and they consciously teach their kids a Christian, old-earth view. I don't think that view was shaped by AO; it was their convictions ahead of time, and they even ditched a science choice (might have been Apologia?) because of it's new-earth view. HOD (history or science) would not likely have been a good fit for them.

However, HOD's book selections (especially in Preparing, CTC and MTMM) and discussions within the guides have definitely helped shape my kids' belief in the Bible and the ability of science to fit and support a Biblical worldview (and vice versa), as opposed to disproving it. It's been a wonderful blessing to our family.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics