Combining for Jr/Sr High LA

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rice

Combining for Jr/Sr High LA

Post by Rice » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:50 pm

My middle 2 are in CTC (started last month) and Rev2Rev (starting in October), so less than 2 guides apart. I have combined my oldest 3 (also within 2 guides of each other) for LA through high school, and kind of just arrived there due to a combination of original placement, LDs and a bit of planning. However, these 2 middle ones have come up through HOD in their own guides. They both really just started full HOD guides with Preparing (mostly 3Rs and some Storytime before that), and while the older one is far less motivated, the younger one is very motivated (already, in 4th, planning what time of year and what age he will graduate :lol: ), and more academic. So, due to the fact that I still have 3 younger ones coming behind these two, I would like to combine them for LA, even though they will stay in their own guides through high school.

For grammar, I have worked out how to get them into the same level.

Composition is my big question. My older one's composition was my "dropped ball" this year, so he missed Medieval. My younger guy is doing some of IEW Ancients (instead of WWTB) in CTC, but I was thinking that when the older one starts Medieval in October, I could combine them in that, using it through Rev2Rev & CTC. The following Year I could continue following the "in between guide": The Exciting World of Creative Writing during MTMM/RTR. After that, I don't think I want to do EIW 10 (WG) with my then-7th grader, so would like to find something else for a year or two. (Another year of IEW, WWTB 1 or 2 - there are lots of options.)

The question is: should I do EIW 10 when they are in 10th/8th (and EIW 11 in 11th/9th), or wait till they are in 11th/9th and 12th/10th? The latter option leaves the older one doing report writing in his last 2 years, and the younger one closer to the intended age range for that curriculum. Is that best? Could we do In His Sandals at 10th/8th, or should I split the 2 years of EIW (for 10/8 and 12/10), doing In His Sandals between them?
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Re: Combining for Jr/Sr High LA

Post by my3sons » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi Rice! I just wanted to let you know I read this and took notes to share with Carrie. You have much going on with a large family, and I can see how combining for composition would streamline precious teaching time. Plus, it sounds like you piloted something similar with your olders, and it worked well! So, just wanted to let you know I will get back to you here after Carrie and I discuss the options you shared! I should be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week. Hope you and your family are healthy, happy, and doing well!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:53 pm

Hello Rice!

I am hoping we won't confuse those reading this thread, as we discuss your options! :D You have a big family with some unique customization happening, which will be specific to your family. I can see the need to streamline time spent teaching composition, so I'll wade in with some thoughts. :D

If you do combine your kiddos in Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons I can definitely see that working, especially since your son will have come out of IEW ancients. After you finish that program, I can see your pair heading into The Exciting World of Creative Writing. Following that program, I would encourage you to do Write with the Best Volume II. It does a great job of hitting many of the needed types of writing for high school and beyond from a different perspective than IEW.

After Write with the Best Volume II, your pair should be old enough to go into EIW Grade 10 followed by EIW Grade 11. Then, they can move into In Their Sandals. Then, your younger child can do the speech in the USII guide next.

I think this will work!

Blessings,
Carrie

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:15 pm

Thank you, Carrie!

On my way over to my spreadsheet to capture these thoughts "on paper" before they are lost, lol. With my younger being much more motivated than the older, I think this will work nicely, and I look forward to streamlining a bit! Thank you!

And one "funny" for you. . . Not knowing exactly what we were doing this year, I decided to throw a copy of In His Sandals into my order this year. Now I won't need it till 2025! Let's hope it's still in the US History I guide by then! :lol:

Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:53 am

Rice,

In Their Sandals can easily be moved to a different year if you desire. I just like to frontload the essential writing skills that are needed for higher education, which is why I suggested doing Essentials in Writing for two years prior to In Their Sandals.

Blessings,
Carrie

Rice

Post by Rice » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:02 pm

I just got this now, Carrie. Not sure why I didn't get a notification when you posted.

Yes, that makes sense. I've put it down the way you've suggested, but recognize that there is some flexibility when we get there. Thank you so much for your help!

Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics