A Detailed Scope and Sequence?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
daybreaking

Re: A Detailed Scope and Sequence?

Post by daybreaking » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:09 pm

Murph wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:36 pm
I have received all the materials needed to implement what we discussed. Now that I am looking at the details, if I have Ruth do the extensions in MTMM, what incentives does she have to read those books? The teacher's guide has activities for the basic books but no activities for the extension books. How has this issue been solved by others?

Thank you,
Linda
The appendix of the guide gives suggestions for follow-up activities for the extension books. The activities are comprised of oral or written narraions and summaries.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

Rice

Re: A Detailed Scope and Sequence?

Post by Rice » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Murph wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:36 pm
I have received all the materials needed to implement what we discussed. Now that I am looking at the details, if I have Ruth do the extensions in MTMM, what incentives does she have to read those books? The teacher's guide has activities for the basic books but no activities for the extension books. How has this issue been solved by others?

Thank you,
Linda
When my son was using Extensions, we marked everything in a unit with sticky tags (less than 1cm wide. Mine happened to be translucent so we could read through them), with a different colour on each Day's work, and one tag per subject (so several in the LA box). Once he finished a subject, he would move the tag to the top of the page. As I checked work, I could put it back in a box to highlight a section he may have missed or move it to the next unit, same day, same subject. This way, it was clearly visible (in colour!) what was yet to be done each day. I also included one at the bottom of each Day on which I wrote "EXT" in sharpie, as a reminder to do that subject. Once it was moved to the top, that meant he had either given me an oral narration or completed some kind of written response which I could then check.

That said, I also have used checklists: some literally just lists and others set up to look like an HOD page - feel free to contact me if you'd like to see the latter kind.

I have also gone so far as to make worksheets, a page per unit, that have space for the appropriate response, including a check-box to check off once an oral narration was completed. (Again, let me know if you'd like to see what I'm trying to describe, lol.)

While it is nice to have everything set up exactly as you need it before you start, sometimes that's not possible and you have to try a few things before you find what works for that child. My suggestion is to set up the first 3-5 units with one method, then reassess together what is/isn't working. This way, if change is needed, you don't waste the other 33 pages you've already printed! (BTDT, several times! :roll: )

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics