Dithor with a struggling reader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
StephanieU

Dithor with a struggling reader

Post by StephanieU » Tue May 05, 2020 3:17 pm

My son is 10 and in CtC. I have recorded the readings for history and science or found them as audio. With that modification, he is having no problems completing CtC. I think he is in Unit 17. The only changes to the guide we have made are math (we use Horizons, and he is in Grade 6), Dithor (discussed below), and Bible quiet time (doing Awana instead). Everything else is completed easily in a day.

For Dithor, he is reading the Level 3 books aloud to me. And they aren't ready for him at all! He makes it through with a basic understanding of the story, but I know he wouldn't be able to do the literary analysis because the reading is stretching him already. But I don't want to move down to lower level books because he needs to continue to work on his reading. I suspect he is dyslexic, as my sister and I have shown signs of it, my nephew is severely dyslexic, and a brother in law is also dyslexic.

So I am trying to figure out how to handle Dithor in the future. I know there may come a time when his reading soars, but I don't know when that will happen. I didn't start to have any interest in reading until I was 22 and had about a week where I had nothing else to do - stuck somewhere with no electronics and nothing else to do. But at some point, he needs to learn some literary analysis before high school. Should I consider doing Dithor with audiobooks whole he continues to read aloud the Dithor books to me? It is there another option?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Robbi

Re: Dithor with a struggling reader

Post by Robbi » Tue May 05, 2020 7:46 pm

If you don't want to go down to the level 2 books, which would have been my first suggestion. :D
My next suggestion is to read the books at half speed. So one day you would read half the assigned pages and do the dithor page and the next day just read the 2nd half of the assigned pages and then have him dictate. You could also do the writing for him in the dithor page if that would help. So each genre would take 30ish days, not the scheduled 15 or whatever. Just reading a smaller amount may help!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed May 06, 2020 9:38 am

Robbi wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:46 pm
If you don't want to go down to the level 2 books, which would have been my first suggestion. :D
My next suggestion is to read the books at half speed. So one day you would read half the assigned pages and do the dithor page and the next day just read the 2nd half of the assigned pages and then have him dictate. You could also do the writing for him in the dithor page if that would help. So each genre would take 30ish days, not the scheduled 15 or whatever. Just reading a smaller amount may help!
He has read the Level 2 books, and my 3rd is just starting them. So I don't think having him go back to those will work.

He can handle the writing. That isn't an issue at all (his spelling isn't great, but it is normally phonetic enough I can decipher it easily, and it is improving with dictation). It is just reading and analyzing the same book that I think it going to be a challenge. That is why I am considering audio books - with him following along in the book while he listens. It will add to his day a little, which is one concern though.
Mom to

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed May 06, 2020 2:33 pm

StephanieU wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:38 am
My son is 10 and in CtC. I have recorded the readings for history and science or found them as audio. With that modification, he is having no problems completing CtC. I think he is in Unit 17. The only changes to the guide we have made are math (we use Horizons, and he is in Grade 6), Dithor (discussed below), and Bible quiet time (doing Awana instead). Everything else is completed easily in a day.
For Dithor, he is reading the Level 3 books aloud to me. And they aren't ready for him at all! He makes it through with a basic understanding of the story, but I know he wouldn't be able to do the literary analysis because the reading is stretching him already. But I don't want to move down to lower level books because he needs to continue to work on his reading. I suspect he is dyslexic, as my sister and I have shown signs of it, my nephew is severely dyslexic, and a brother in law is also dyslexic.
So I am trying to figure out how to handle Dithor in the future. I know there may come a time when his reading soars, but I don't know when that will happen. I didn't start to have any interest in reading until I was 22 and had about a week where I had nothing else to do - stuck somewhere with no electronics and nothing else to do. But at some point, he needs to learn some literary analysis before high school. Should I consider doing Dithor with audiobooks whole he continues to read aloud the Dithor books to me? It is there another option?
…He has read the Level 2 books, and my 3rd is just starting them. So I don't think having him go back to those will work.

He can handle the writing. That isn't an issue at all (his spelling isn't great, but it is normally phonetic enough I can decipher it easily, and it is improving with dictation). It is just reading and analyzing the same book that I think it going to be a challenge. That is why I am considering audio books - with him following along in the book while he listens. It will add to his day a little, which is one concern though.
Thanks for sharing these details about your son's reading and writing - that helps so much as we give advice! It is encouraging that he is doing well with writing - that will definitely help when doing the DITHOR Student Book's work.

As far as the reading, I think it will be very important for him to read the DITHOR books, as he won't be reading the other books for CTC's history and science. It is encouraging that he read the Level 2 DITHOR books last year, and we want to keep him progressing in this skill of reading independently.

A slower pace of reading, as Robbi suggested, is a great idea! In CTC, DITHOR is only scheduled 3 days a week, so only 4-5 genres are covered. I would choose the genres with the easier reading levels in the Level 3 book pack (the reading levels are noted on the Optional Book Recommendations sheet as well as online). In looking at those now (as well as the books on our HOD warehouse shelves), I think you could lessen the amount of reading to an enjoyable and a manageable amount for your son by doing only one of the books instead of both books assigned, for some genres.

For example, Biography has easier reading levels of 3.8 and 3.9. So, I'd definitely do Biography as one of the 4 genres this year. For Biography, I'd also consider only doing Alexander Hamilton and spreading it out over 15 days instead of 10 days of reading (or, if you happen to own another book in the series of Catwings, you could use that book and Catwings, spending 7 days on one of them and spending 8 days on the other).

Likewise, I'd choose A Mouse Called Wolf for Fantasy, and spread it out over 15 days instead of 10 days of reading.

For Folk Tales, A Penny's Worth of Character can be spread out over 15 days instead of 10 days.

Finally, either The Mystery of Pelican Cove for the genre Mystery, or OSS Tropical Rain Forest for the genre Nonfiction (whichever seems easier for him) could round out the 4 genres for the year.

Choosing these genres with easier reading levels and choosing one book to spread out over 15 days will help the level and the pace be doable. As only one book needs to be analyzed/comprehended instead of two for each genre, your son will be better able to follow the storyline and plot/character development.

I'd also give your son some time to preread or practice reading the book before reading it aloud to you. This builds confidence and helps kiddos feel more ready to read. I'd also have him read a portion of it in his head, rather than all aloud if possible. When reading aloud, students must concentrate on so many things - pacing, expression, pitch, tone, etc. Once children begin DITHOR, they read silently - in their head - at least a portion of the time. Carrie's plans in DITHOR note when students are to read out loud and how much (i.e. all, part, none). Reading silently is less work than reading aloud, and it allows for better comprehension, so I think this may help your son.

If the reading of DITHOR with this slower pace adds too much time to the day, I'd consider slowing CTC down to half-speed. It will be important your son begins to take on reading for history/science if possible as he progresses through the upcoming guides as well, and a half-speed pace may help in this goal as well.

Often times, kiddos just need some time to mature and grow into their reading. A certain book, author, or genre can turn them on to reading, or even just having a time where there is nothing else to do but read, as you shared happened for you one day! I know this will happen for your son too, in his own time!!! Hope some of these ideas can help, Stephanie, but keep doing the wonderful job you are of homeschooling your son with HOD!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed May 06, 2020 3:15 pm

my3sons wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:33 pm
StephanieU wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:38 am
…He has read the Level 2 books, and my 3rd is just starting them. So I don't think having him go back to those will work.

Thanks for sharing these details about your son's reading and writing - that helps so much as we give advice! It is encouraging that he is doing well with writing - that will definitely help when doing the DITHOR Student Book's work.

As far as the reading, I think it will be very important for him to read the DITHOR books, as he won't be reading the other books for CTC's history and science. It is encouraging that he read the Level 2 DITHOR books last year, and we want to keep him progressing in this skill of reading independently.

A slower pace of reading, as Robbi suggested, is a great idea! In CTC, DITHOR is only scheduled 3 days a week, so only 4-5 genres are covered. I would choose the genres with the easier reading levels in the Level 3 book pack (the reading levels are noted on the Optional Book Recommendations sheet as well as online). In looking at those now (as well as the books on our HOD warehouse shelves), I think you could lessen the amount of reading to an enjoyable and a manageable amount for your son by doing only one of the books instead of both books assigned, for some genres.

For example, Biography has easier reading levels of 3.8 and 3.9. So, I'd definitely do Biography as one of the 4 genres this year. For Biography, I'd also consider only doing Alexander Hamilton and spreading it out over 15 days instead of 10 days of reading (or, if you happen to own another book in the series of Catwings, you could use that book and Catwings, spending 7 days on one of them and spending 8 days on the other).

Likewise, I'd choose A Mouse Called Wolf for Fantasy, and spread it out over 15 days instead of 10 days of reading.

For Folk Tales, A Penny's Worth of Character can be spread out over 15 days instead of 10 days.

Finally, either The Mystery of Pelican Cove for the genre Mystery, or OSS Tropical Rain Forest for the genre Nonfiction (whichever seems easier for him) could round out the 4 genres for the year.

Choosing these genres with easier reading levels and choosing one book to spread out over 15 days will help the level and the pace be doable. As only one book needs to be analyzed/comprehended instead of two for each genre, your son will be better able to follow the storyline and plot/character development.

I'd also give your son some time to preread or practice reading the book before reading it aloud to you. This builds confidence and helps kiddos feel more ready to read. I'd also have him read a portion of it in his head, rather than all aloud if possible. When reading aloud, students must concentrate on so many things - pacing, expression, pitch, tone, etc. Once children begin DITHOR, they read silently - in their head - at least a portion of the time. Carrie's plans in DITHOR note when students are to read out loud and how much (i.e. all, part, none). Reading silently is less work than reading aloud, and it allows for better comprehension, so I think this may help your son.

If the reading of DITHOR with this slower pace adds too much time to the day, I'd consider slowing CTC down to half-speed. It will be important your son begins to take on reading for history/science if possible as he progresses through the upcoming guides as well, and a half-speed pace may help in this goal as well.

Often times, kiddos just need some time to mature and grow into their reading. A certain book, author, or genre can turn them on to reading, or even just having a time where there is nothing else to do but read, as you shared happened for you one day! I know this will happen for your son too, in his own time!!! Hope some of these ideas can help, Stephanie, but keep doing the wonderful job you are of homeschooling your son with HOD!

In Christ,
Julie
He is reading the Level 3 books in order of difficulty right now. He is on The Year of Miss Agnes (reading level 4.5). He CAN read the book, but I know it is very hard work for him. He doesn't have the mental reserve to work on literary analysis with the work he is putting into the actual reading. I wasn't planning on starting the workbook until he is done with Level 3 at the least. But I want him to have at least a full level of the workbook completed, and I would prefer to have at least 1.5 worksbooks done.

He can sound out most words if he isn't trying to read fluently. But he often just picks a word he knows that starts (and often ends) the same. So conquer could be cover in his mind. This is why I am reading the history and science for him. He could and would "read" the whole passage and yet get a totally wrong meaning. And with all of the proper nounds, especially in history, I know it would not go well! So, I am planning on continuing to record the audio for CtC for him, and we will consider it for future guides. He is able to access the audio files on a phone and do the boxes completely independently this way. And I am fine with this modification.

I am reluctant to slow down CtC or any other guide, as I know it would not be good for him and his sister (dd8) to be any closer in guides. They are currently 1.5 guides apart, with her finishing Bigger next week. They are 20 months apart in age, and even today I would be more comfortable with her reading the British science books from CtC than him. He has more tools for sounding out words, but she is more fluent in many ways. But if she passes him, it would be hard emotionally for him. He would likely stop trying, as that is his personality.

Is there are a huge issue with using audio books (not for the HOD book pakc books, but maybe from the $5 book list) with DITHOR and then having him continue to read the DITHOR books in order of difficulty?
Mom to

Rice

Post by Rice » Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 pm

StephanieU wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:15 pm
I am reluctant to slow down CtC or any other guide, as I know it would not be good for him and his sister (dd8) to be any closer in guides. They are currently 1.5 guides apart, with her finishing Bigger next week. They are 20 months apart in age, and even today I would be more comfortable with her reading the British science books from CtC than him. He has more tools for sounding out words, but she is more fluent in many ways. But if she passes him, it would be hard emotionally for him. He would likely stop trying, as that is his personality.

Is there are a huge issue with using audio books (not for the HOD book pakc books, but maybe from the $5 book list) with DITHOR and then having him continue to read the DITHOR books in order of difficulty?
I totally understand where you're coming from with a younger sibling outpacing an older one. My 8yoDS and 6yoDD are at that point right now with reading: DS is going to Sound Bytes while DD is passing his level in the ERs. I also have a 14yoDS in a higher guide than 16yoDD and 18yoDS! BTDT! It's not easy to negotiate. In my case, both times, it has been best to have the younger one place higher than the older, to go at their own pace, but I totally understand the desire to keep them separate and one above the other. (I had the advantage of placing the oldest ones when we first came to HOD, as opposed to trying to do the same guide at two different places as one caught the other.) I'm hoping I'll be able to combine these two in Preparing in a couple years, but I, like you, haven't had much luck with that in the past. :wink:

If both of you can handle having 2 sets of books going on top of the regular guide expectations, then I think you've hit on the best solution: have him (DAILY) read DITHOR books at his instructional level (ideally, part of a reading aloud at least a few times per week), and another book at a slightly easy comprehension level (which may be above his reading level? or not.) for using with the DITHOR program itself - either written or orally, at your discretion - as scheduled in the guide.

(And I know you know that you won't have to go "off-HOD" to the book list for all of them, with the Bigger and CTC Boy Interest books being optional 4/5 and 6/7 book packs.)

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon May 11, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi there! Just have a moment, as we are standardized testing, and it has been crazy busy at home and at Heart of Dakota! Half-speed CTC was just a suggestion to have in the back of your mind as a Plan B, so your son could grow into the independent reading more for science/history by the time he starts RTR. Half-speed CTC helped my son in the area of writing so much. By the time he started RTR, he was ready for it. He just needed some time to grow in those important CM type skills! However, I can see your not wanting younger sis to catch up to older brother - that makes sense too!

I've always thought the use of audio books is a good way to make modifications, and it sounds like you are seeing good results with those modifications now. If your son is reading the Level 3 book pack books in order of difficulty already, great! If you want to hold off on the Student Book, you could always still discuss things orally. If you want to add another audio book using the DITHOR Sample Book Ideas list for options, you certainly could, though I think it might be easier to stick with one book and one storyline. However, if you're seeing benefits and growth using audio in the other subject areas, maybe this would be a modification that would work well for DITHOR for awhile too. It sounds like you have a plan you are excited to try with DITHOR, Stephanie - hope you see great results!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie