Phonics Instruction

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
DutchFam7

Phonics Instruction

Post by DutchFam7 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:48 pm

Hello Carrie! I have a 6 and 7 year old (youngest of 5 boys) that are currently completing Little Hearts for His Glory. Alongside of your book we have been completing "Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" by Engelmann, Haddox, and Bruner. As we move to Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, I feel they need some further phonics instruction. Can you recommend one of your listed phonics programs (The Reading Lesson, Ready Made Easy, or Sound Bytes Reading) as better for 2 kids and/or better for children with some phonics instruction already. A shorter program would be better I think given what they have already learned. I have not used any of the 3 you list and would appreciate your wisdom moving forward. Thank you! Susan

StephanieU

Re: Phonics Instruction

Post by StephanieU » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:09 pm

What areas do you think they need more instruction in? Is it that they aren't reading fluently but can sound out words fairly well? Is it that they can read fluently if it is an "easy" word but struggle to sound out harder/longer words? Is it that they struggle accross the board with reading still?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:45 pm

I've used 100 Easy Lessons for 4 kids now, and while 3 of them have moved directly into the ERs, one has needed more. He is now 8, having started 100 EZ Lessons at almost 6, and is only part way through the ERs.

We have stopped and used a variety of readers along the way: Bob books, the AAR Level 1 Readers, other Level 1 and 2 books I've had here, and a couple phonics readers sets.

I suspect Irlen Syndrome to be a factor in his struggling to read, but he has also come a long way just in the last month. However, I have Sound Bytes on the way to use with him. He is starting to read much more smoothly around Prairie School, but I know that the Christian Nature Reader will be discouraging with its length. We will stop and do Sound Bytes before continuing on.

I also have the complication of having a 6yo DD right behind him. She did 100 Easy Lessons in 88 days and finished Frog and Toad this week! She may be ready for the Christian Nature Reader before we get half way through Sound Bytes, but I'm hoping to give him a stronger foundation to make reading more enjoyable for him.

I am curious to hear Carrie's perspective, though, since my guy has been working on phonics for 3 years now, so I don't want to re-start a full beginner phonics program (like The Reading Lesson or Reading Made Easy), but coming right after finishing a first phonics program, yours is a different situation.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:39 pm

Hello Susan,

If your kiddos have completed Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, and you don't feel your kiddos are ready for the Emerging Reader's Set, I would recommend Sound Bytes for your pair next. If, however, you haven't finished Teach Your Child to Read..., or you did finish and feel your kiddos could do the Emerging Reader's Set, then my advice would differ. If you can pop back and let me know how far you got through Teach Your Child to Read that will help! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:46 pm

Rice,

I think Sound Bytes is a great choice in your situation. I would pause the Emerging Reader's Set and just work through Sound Bytes for now. It may take a couple of months or could go more quickly. It isn't uncommon to need a bridge between Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and our Emerging Reader's Set. Teach Your Child to Read stops just a bit short with some kiddos. :D