Where to place my 12 yr old

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mitch1114

Where to place my 12 yr old

Post by mitch1114 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:53 pm

We had taken a year off from HOD and did our own thing. It did not go well. So we came back to HOD. But I'm wondering if I should start where we left off or jump to the level she should be in. She finished CTC but should be in revival to revolution. Do i skip resurrection to reformation? If I start where we left off she wouldn't finish the last guidebook. She'd be in U.S. History 1 in 12th grade.

my3sons

Re: Where to place my 12 yr old

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:15 pm

Welcome back to HOD! It is best to choose placement based on where she places now, as this will give her the best year and we can then move her forward accordingly. There are multiple paths through high school, and a guide can be skipped if it is determined to be the best thing to do right before high school approaches.

To find the proper placement for your daughter, could you please share about your daughter's age (i.e. when she turns 13 yo) and about her reading, writing, grammar, and math according to the placement chart?
https://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Also, could you please share if she has been used to reading her own history/science, or if those have been read aloud to her? As well as how much she is used to writing and reading each day, about how long she is used to doing school each day, and how well she does with following directions and working independently? Then, we'll figure out the best placement for her going forward!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mitch1114

Post by mitch1114 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:57 pm

My daughter just turned 12. Reading- She reads the same books I do. We haven't really done formal literature study with terms. She can do, and has done in the past, Drawn into the Heart of Reading. Writing- She does well copying, both cursive and manuscript. Although sometimes she misses spelling mistakes when proofreading. She can easily write a longer paragraph of narration, and she is always writing her own stories and poems. Grammar-we have been using R&S book 4. I admit I don't like grammar and diagramming sentences so we haven't gotten very far in that book. Math- She is in Primary Math 4a right now. She has been reading history and science on her own. She spends about 2 hours doing independent school work each day, and then I work with her for 45-60 minutes. Do those answers help? Looking at the placement chart I think she would be in Revival to Revolution.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:14 pm

mitch1114 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:57 pm
My daughter just turned 12. Reading- She reads the same books I do. We haven't really done formal literature study with terms. She can do, and has done in the past, Drawn into the Heart of Reading. Writing- She does well copying, both cursive and manuscript. Although sometimes she misses spelling mistakes when proofreading. She can easily write a longer paragraph of narration, and she is always writing her own stories and poems. Grammar-we have been using R&S book 4. I admit I don't like grammar and diagramming sentences so we haven't gotten very far in that book. Math- She is in Primary Math 4a right now. She has been reading history and science on her own. She spends about 2 hours doing independent school work each day, and then I work with her for 45-60 minutes. Do those answers help? Looking at the placement chart I think she would be in Revival to Revolution.
Thanks for answering my questions! That really does help! Age-wise, your daughter just turning 12 fits either guide. Your daughter reading (I'm assuming) difficult, longer chapter books could place her nicely in either Resurrection to Reformation (RTR) or Revival to Revolution (RevtoRev), as does her being used to reading her own history and science and being able to creatively write well with few spelling errors and in cursive or print. Based on all of that, either guide would work! To be ready for Revival to Revolution, it is best if students have completed formal literature study previously. If your daughter completed the Drawn into the Heart of Reading (DITHOR) Level 4/5 Student Book/lessons and 5/6 grade level reading books, she has had enough formal literature study to be ready for Revival to Revolution. If not, she probably places better in RTR in this area.

The average writing length for an assignment (in one setting) in RevtoRev is 10-14 sentences organized in several paragraphs or more. In this area, RTR is a better fit. The amount of prior formal writing instruction could make a difference in this though, but there is quite a bit of daily writing across the subject areas in RevtoRev, so in general, RTR seems to be better overall. RTR is also a better fit time-wise, as each day of plans takes 4 to 4 1/2 hours to complete. RevoRev usually takes more than 4 1/2 hours to complete each day. RTR would be a better transition workload-wise from what she has been doing to what she will be doing this coming year. Either guide works with her math and grammar placements.

So, it seems overall RTR might be the better fit, but RevtoRev could be done if she is up for a challenge! RTR would be the smoother transition, but RevtoRev could be in reach if she could grow into heavier daily writing assignments, a lengthier school day, and increased independence without too much difficulty. There are multiple paths through high school, and a guide can be skipped just prior to high school if that makes sense going forward. So, all that to say, she places comfortably in RTR but could be stretched/challenged by RevtoRev, if she is on board with that and you are too! What do you think? What kind of a year is she coming off of, and is she a go-getter when faced with more of a challenge? Or, is she needing a year to transition, build some skills and grow in confidence? Either guide is amazing! But each will give her (and you) a different year ahead! Please pop back and share your thoughts or ask further questions! We love to help here!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

mitch1114

Post by mitch1114 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:38 pm

Thanks! That is a big help. I think we'll do RTR next year. She sometimes, often, needs a little prodding to get her work done. She would rather read or play with her siblings.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:01 pm

Oh good! I do think that will be the better placement overall, and I think she'll enjoy RTR so much! I also think you will enjoy the Beautiful Girlhood study - I would have been sad for the two of you to miss that. Have a good rest of your week!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie