HS Literature Analysis

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mama247

HS Literature Analysis

Post by mama247 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:19 am

Hello,

My 14 year old son is currently using the World Geo guide and it's been a good year. Looking ahead to next year using the World History guide, I'm wondering how literary analysis is done with all of the novels in the literature pack. Are there literary analysis sheets somewhere in the student journal pages? If so, is a sample of a literary analysis sheet available? I'm just curious as to what will be covered exactly as far as analysis after each novel is read. I don't want to add a separate literature analysis program to HOD's already full guide, but I'm unsure what to do seeing as there isn't much info on HOD's website that I can see regarding high school literature analysis of those great novels! Thank you for any insight! 😊

Blessings!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: HS Literature Analysis

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:04 pm

Hello!

This is a great question! :D The literature is such a beloved part of World History that I would hate for your child to miss it. The books alone are some of my favorites. I have heard from many families that they love the books too. The way the literature is laid out in the World History guide teaches kiddos to put their literary analysis skills to work. The literature plans also guide students to read with moral discernment.

My oldest two sons have graduated high school with HOD. Between the two of them, they were able to CLEP out of every area of Literature and Composition. These tests included Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, American Literature, English Literature, College Composition, and Humanities. While testing out of things is not the ultimate goal, I share that to let you know they were well-prepared by HOD's high school literature and composition. They have also both taken college level courses in literature through their respective colleges and excelled. :D

Here are a couple of blog post links that will help answer your questions about the literature in World History! :D

Link: https://www.heartofdakota.com/blog/2019 ... iterature/

Link: https://www.heartofdakota.com/blog/2019 ... gh-school/

Blessings,
Carrie

mama247

Post by mama247 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:12 am

Thank you so much, Carrie! Hearing your experience with your boys and the blog posts answered my questions perfectly. 😊

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:58 pm

Oh good! :D I am glad to be of help! Our son, Greyson, just finished the literature in World History about a month ago. He had many books he loved throughout the year. We pray your son will enjoy the literature in World History as well. :D

Blessings,
Carrie