My box is here.... getting started!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Teena6

My box is here.... getting started!

Post by Teena6 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:25 pm

It came yesterday (at the end of our school day)~ I was so excited. We were headed out the door to church (Awana) so I took my WHOLE box to show my friend! :lol:

We started this morning and it went great.... well, we had a few bumps but nothing major. I love just looking at the guide and doing the next thing. My boys were sorta shocked when I started singing (with motions) the *God's Creation* :mrgreen:

When we did our music and story time we went into my dd's room (she was at work) where the cd player is and listened to our song. We then sat on the floor and read "Adventures of Reddy Fox" :wink:

My 5 yr old (just turned in July) is NOT real crazy about *school* but our 6 yr old (turned six in Feb) is soaking it up. :)

SO.... NOW I want to buy Bigger or maybe Preparing for my 10 yr old daughter! She is in 5th but I was thinking I could do Bigger with the expansion and then do Preparing next year for 6th grade.... what do you think?

there is only one problem........ :oops: Not enough $$$ left (at this time) to do her... plus I already bought all her stuff this summer. :(

I *KEEP* looking at the catalog! :roll: :wink:

blessings,
Teena mom to 1/2 dozen & a DIL
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

Tana in FL

Re: My box is here.... getting started!

Post by Tana in FL » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:30 pm

YAY! That sounds like so much fun! I am so excited to get started. But I told myself I absolutely would not until a couple of personal goals are met, and those should be done within the next week or so. Then, it's time to get to it!

Your day sounds wonderful! :) Thanks for sharing!
Tana
DS 10: BHFHG w/ext, DITHOR, Horizons 4, CLE 4
DD 6: LHFHG, WP AW, Horizons 1, RME, CLE 1
http://allabouttana.blogspot.com/

Candice

Post by Candice » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:11 pm

Teena,

Maybe you could have your husband hide the catalog from you and promise not to tell you where it is! :lol:

Glad you had a great start (bumps and all), thanks for sharing!

Candice

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:56 pm

Sounds like you had a good start....there are almost always going to be a few bumps. I was in the same boat as you with my daughter, I had LHFHG for my boys and another curriculum for my girls which I had gotten back in April, but kept looking at the catalog and reading the boards (and praying and asking) and ended up selling my curriculum and buying "Preparing". Not sure that is what you should do, but definitely pray about it.
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:08 pm

I have thought about selling some of my stuff. :wink:

tomorrow is the day we put the liquid gel in a bag and make our letters in it. :)

With older children, younger children and so forth.... dh in and out a lot during the day... my brain not working like it use to... (soon to be 47) it is nice to have everything laid out. :lol:
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:06 pm

Teena,

I can't believe you got started already! You're amazing! :D I'm so glad your 6 year old is soaking it up! We've found those little 5's need to settle in for awhile before they hit their stride too! :wink:

We'll pray you'll find peace in your curriculum decisions overall. I NEED an open-and-go guide too to keep everything going forward at our house, so I know what you mean! :D

Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:12 pm

Teena6 wrote:It came yesterday (at the end of our school day)~ I was so excited. We were headed out the door to church (Awana) so I took my WHOLE box to show my friend! :lol:

I how I laughed when I read this! :lol: :lol: :lol: I totally relate my friend! My box day happened when we were having another family over for dinner. My girlfriend and I left our husbands to play wii while we went through the boxes and checked everything off! I love your enthusiasm and cannot WAIT to see your weekly check in's!

As far as changing things around, decisions. I started with "Little Hearts" and "Bigger" and somehow ended up using "Beyond" and "Little Hands" :roll: :lol: :wink: It's ok, I'm set for next year!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:54 pm

Thanks, Ladies... what a nice welcome :) Enjoying the chatting.

Yes, Carrie, we started school on Tuesday. We were suppose to start on Monday but a tragedy here... my daughter's minature horse died. We spent Monday weeping and crying . It was such a sad time. We spent a lot of time lying on her bed hugging, talking, crying and praying. Oh and we even sang a little of "Jesus lover of my soul"

SO... we started Tuesday! But my LHFHG came around 3pm and we were just about finished for the day. So I looked over it all that night and we jumped into it today. :D

I was going through some of my drawers of books (18 yrs of hs-ing, you collect a lot) and I found a couple of the ones "One Small Square." Still trying to decide about Alyssa (10 yr old, one with horse )

thanks for letting me ramble :lol: :roll: :wink:

blessings,
Teena mom to 1/2 dozen and a DIL
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:03 am

Hi, my name is Nancy and I'm new here and have been lurking for a while :wink:  We got started almost three weeks ago and my daughter, 4 almost 5 years-old, just loves it! My dd did private pre-school last year but my husband was finally convicted that we should homeschool and we cancelled her enrollment for next year! YEAH GOD!!

We did experience some"bumps" the first week but she seems to have settled in. She absolutely loves doing crafts so I've had to bolster the curriculum with some more hands-on stuff. Thankfully just putting foamies on paper qualifies as a craft for her  :D We're on the third week and tomorrow my girlfriend, who is also doing LHFHG is bringing her girls over and we're going to make clay bowls to go along with Esau trading away his blessing. My dd loves doing everything in the program and it is so easy to follow that I can juggle homeschooling and work. Thank-you Carrie for such a wonderful curriculum.

I also showed off all the materials to all my girlfriends, they probably got pretty tired of me me going on and on! I have also shared this curriculum with some co-workers who sit for their grandkids and are looking for something to do with them.

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:28 am

I am using LHFHG with a 6 yr old and BHFHG with my 10 yr old. He placed some in Preparing... but his reading comprehension is not so good so I thought I would start him at Bigger with extensions and DITHOR. Plus he has told me several times that he wants to study the Presidents and I told him that his program is all about US history plus he can listen in on Brendan's history. :D This is my 1st year hsing and we are very excited about it. If you sell your other curriculum and buy the basic package for Preparing... maybe you can swing it. I took the catalog and checked our library online for the all the books in the catalog and marked the ones they had so I would know what I didn't have to buy because money is an issue for us too. I also have listed many books (twaddle) on swaptree.com and have gotten about 10 or so already that way too! I'm sure your dd would love Bigger because my son is so excited about his books and he is NEVER excited about reading :lol: He has been organizing "his" shelf already and getting his notebooks decorated and stuff like that. They were both initially very against hsing because of missing their friends but I have been talking with them and praying for and with them and their little hearts are warming up to the idea. Having the books come this week has really helped with their resistance. Now they want to start early!
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:52 am

wow, thanks Ladies.

what a great testimony of how God is working in your children's hearts. You have older children too, like me :wink:

thanks for the heads up about the *first* week and really today is just day two. We finished already. My dd wanted to listen to Reddy Fox and our History :lol:

I stayed up way to late looking over stuff. I have never been drawn to a catalog like HOD!! :lol

mine like crafts too........ so I may add some in. :)

thanks for sharing.... feel free to comment :mrgreen:

blessings,
Teena married for 27 yrs
ds 23 married to dil 24
dd 19
ds15
dd 10
ds 6
ds 5
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Oh Ladies! You're warming my heart today! We are DEEPLY entrenched in planning for our new ancients guide, and I'm working to get to a stopping point so I can get my boys ready to start their new school year!

I get chills when I read your posts and feel the Lord blessing your homeschools! He is SO good! :D

Blessings,
Carrie