Discovering Design with Chemistry-Question on Experiment

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

Discovering Design with Chemistry-Question on Experiment

Post by John'smom » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 am

My son is trying to do the Experiment assigned on Unit 3 Day 3 of US I. It calls for ABSOLUTE ETHYL ALCOHOL ONLY!!! I assume this is different from the 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol that we have. Where can I get this from? I looked on Amazon and don't see any there. Also any ideas how to tightly attach the mesh net to the top? The piece of mesh we have seems almost too short and cant' hardly be bent. Thanks for any help.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

christianmom

Re: Discovering Design with Chemistry-Question on Experiment

Post by christianmom » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:07 am

You are correct that rubbing alcohol won’t work.

The denatured alcohol for experiment 2, chapter 3 of the book can be found next to the paint in a hardware store. It is used for paint thinner, and it does say denatured alcohol on the can. You will need it for more experiments during the year so it is worth buying.

I think my son laid the mesh on top. I don’t remember him bending or attaching it.

HTH

John'smom

Re: Discovering Design with Chemistry-Question on Experiment

Post by John'smom » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:53 pm

christianmom wrote:You are correct that rubbing alcohol won’t work.

The denatured alcohol for experiment 2, chapter 3 of the book can be found next to the paint in a hardware store. It is used for paint thinner, and it does say denatured alcohol on the can. You will need it for more experiments during the year so it is worth buying.

I think my son laid the mesh on top. I don’t remember him bending or attaching it.

HTH
Thanks so much you were a big help. When I read your post, I remembered using denatured alcohol for another of HOD's science previously. I had some sitting in our basement. Also big help on the mesh as the directions say to attach tightly and I have no idea how in the world we could do that.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM