Looking for ideas to keep MAMA accountable

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
aecastleberry

Looking for ideas to keep MAMA accountable

Post by aecastleberry » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:37 am

Hey there! My 3 kiddos are working through HOD this year. My oldest is completely independent in MtMM, my middle is going through Res to Ref with modifications (he is severely dyslexic), and my youngest is in Beyond.

I need suggestions on how to keep on top of my oldest's work and progress. My daughter is a fantastic student, but she can try to "get away with the bare minimum" if she's allowed to. :wink: Spending SO MUCH time with my struggling learner and my youngest who is learning to read and needs me for everything in Beyond often leaves me forgetting to check in with my daughter. Then, when I do go back and check her work, I sometimes find things she has "missed," or her written narrations are 5 sentences instead of 12-16 like the assignment required. I thought I would leave checking her work until the end of each day so I could sit down and go over things with her......but that isn't working so well b/c we are all just d o n e -- or, I need to get dinner on the table, run errands, do laundry, etc. and I never get around to it.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to stay on top of my oldest's work. Especially since she will be moving to high school next year and I will have to do this! Do you find that scheduling a "checkpoint" in during different parts of the day helpful? Do you have other suggestions? I will appreciate any and all helpful thoughts!!

Thank you!
Amber
It's hard to be discontent when you count your blessings.
Amber - Amazed by Grace, Wife to Scott, Mama to 3, Teacher, Photographer, Writer
daughter, 15 WH
son, 13 Boys Adventure Co-OP, CTC
son, 9 Preparing

StephanieU

Re: Looking for ideas to keep MAMA accountable

Post by StephanieU » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:10 pm

Could you possibly "catch up" on the fifth day of the week? That is my idea for this fall with my oldest in Rev2Rev. My third born will be doing 5 days most weeks, so we will have that fifth day to catch up on anything missing in Rev2Rev and Preparing. I am planning on checking work on Thursday night or early Friday morning, and then leaving post it notes on work to be fixed.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

aecastleberry

Post by aecastleberry » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 am

I don't really think that waiting until the 5th day would be very feasible for me (or my daughter). That is a LOT of work to check at one time. I think I somehow need to build a "check-in" time into my own schedule so that I'm remembering to look over everything she does each day.
It's hard to be discontent when you count your blessings.
Amber - Amazed by Grace, Wife to Scott, Mama to 3, Teacher, Photographer, Writer
daughter, 15 WH
son, 13 Boys Adventure Co-OP, CTC
son, 9 Preparing

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:08 am

I have this exact problem!! One thing I've started doing is telling my 2nd who is in revtorev to come get me after he does certain boxes. Usually 3 boxes and then we have a short meeting and go over those 3 boxes and plan his next 3. It sometimes means my younger 2 has a short break that is sometimes hard to get them back!! But we are trying. It helps me to be accountable to have him tell me when he's ready for that meeting!! With my oldest, she tells me when she has a narration or something and then I will also check other things then. Or tell her then that I want to see x, y, z when you're done today. It is not easy that is for sure!!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

mama4z

Post by mama4z » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:18 pm

This was probably the one area I was most concerned about when I began homeschooling. I scoured this board and I read every Heart of Dakota blog post and grabbed snippets of advice from all of you! I ended up devising a schedule for my kids, alternating Independent and Together boxes, so when one (or more) are working Independently, I can be working with someone else on a Together box. I call them "Mom Meetings." They know they are to try not to interrupt if it is not their Mom Meeting time. If they are stuck on something I tell them to put a star by it and move on or write it down so they don't forget their question. (For perspective, we are all almost always in the same room together so no one is on an island, and if they have a quick question, sometimes it makes sense for them to ask quickly and move on.) I also have my own lesson plan check-sheet that I use weekly. As boxes are done, instead of checking them off in the guide, I check them off on my check-sheet where I can also jot notes about things to work on or assignments that weren't entirely finished, so we make sure they are addressed the next day. This shows me at a single glance who needs to do what and what I haven't already checked. Only the mama can do the checking off! I keep these in my own binder at my school space. I have attached pictures of my check-sheet and daily schedule. I have the daily schedule laminated in the center of our workspace for all to see. I am currently using the following guides: RevtoRev, CtC, Bigger and LHTH. I sneak in boxes with my preschooler when everyone is working or taking a break. I also encourage my olders to do a box with little brother if they are waiting for a Mom Meeting. It keeps everyone engaged and close by!
Attachments
IMG_2859.jpg
IMG_2859.jpg (105.93 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
IMG_2860.jpg
IMG_2860.jpg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
IMG_2861.jpg
IMG_2861.jpg (93.74 KiB) Viewed 3033 times

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi! I use planned meeting times to correct our sons' work. I did a blog post on how I do this with high school work, so I will paste the link and the post below...

https://www.heartofdakota.com/blog/2018 ... hool-work/

This From Our House to Yours will focus on high school planned meeting times.  High school is a new and exciting time for parents and students alike!  Heart of Dakota makes this transition smoother in 4 ways! First, Heart of Dakota guides use easy-to-follow 2-page daily plans, just 4 days a week.  Second, each credit includes detailed plans labeled "T" teacher-directed, "S" semi-independent, and "I" independent.  This makes parent and student roles clear.  Third, parents love the detailed course descriptions, suggested grading, and transcript helps. Fourth, students love the clear plans for each day's work!  Finally, you should always check your individual state requirements for high school. But, your student should typically earn all credits and electives necessary by doing HOD's 4 high school guides!

So, now that we know the plans are complete, how do we as parents correct high school work?

Each high school guide's introduction has detailed suggested grading for each credit earned.  From this, we can make professional transcripts easily and inexpensively by using each HOD guide's course titles and descriptions.  We can also use the website www.transcriptmaker.com to input our student's transcript details.  I especially love this website because it figures my students' GPA automatically!  With all of this help, the only thing I'm left with is finding time to teach and to correct work. I've found one successful way to do this is to use planned meeting times!

What are planned meeting times?

I use planned meeting times to teach and to correct my children's work.  We set specific times to meet within the day.  I've found 2-3, or even 4 planned meeting times work well.  My kiddos often complete some work independently first, and then they take this work to our first meeting time.  My first meeting time with my 9th grader using World Geography happens around 7:30 AM in the morning.  He comes with his completed independent work from the night before.  (As he is a bit of a night owl, he likes to do about 1 hour's worth of independent work for the next school day the night before.)  He also completes his Bible from 7 to 7:30 AM prior to the meeting. Our first meeting time includes going over completed work from Bible, the Living Library, Spanish, and World Religions and Cultures.

So, what does he share from each of these subjects?

For Bible, he reads aloud his answers to me from Rooted and Grounded.  He also shares his prayer journal, unless it is more private.  On days 1 and 3, I have him say his memorized Scripture verses for me.  I also correct his Common Place Book entry if he had one.  (If he had Practical Happiness, I read it on my own and so does he, annotating as we read.  We meet at the third meeting time to go over the devotion.) For the Living Library, he reads aloud his sentence summary.  I check to be sure it contains the main characters, main goal and action taken, main conflict, and the setting.  Skimming the pages of the book's daily reading is enough for me to see if he is on track for this 10% extra credit assignment.  I also check any special assignments noted for this in the plans (i.e. if he was to star, cloud, circle, etc certain things).  I correct his Spanish using the answer key, and I have him orally translate/read the odd problems aloud referencing the key as needed.  For World Religions and Cultures, I have him hand me the book he read open to the first page's reading.  I skim the beginning, middle, and end of the reading.  Also, I read the key idea in the guide.  Finally, we either correct his bookmark together, or I listen to his oral narration with book in hand.

What does the rest of his day look like?

After the first planned meeting time, he checks off the Living Library, World Religions and Cultures, Foreign Language, and Bible boxes.  They are done - hooray!  Next, we discuss what he needs to do for his EIW composition or R & S English grammar part of the plans.  He works on this independently then, while I do a planned meeting time with a different child.  His next planned meeting time is around 8:20 to 8:30 AM, whenever he completes his composition or grammar. I correct his written work by having him read it aloud to me.  He reads with pencil in hand, making any corrections he sees he needs to make first on his own. Then, I help him correct any mistakes using the grammar answer key or the EIW daily plans/rubric.  We check the Composition/Grammar box off in the plans, and he is off to chores and breakfast!

How does he finish out the plans?

After breakfast, he completes his World Geography, Geography Activities, Literature, and Logic boxes.  I pop in the living room to hear his oral narrations, correct his map work, edit his written work, discuss/check his literature, and check his logic answers.  We love this time together, and the key ideas and answer keys make it fairly easy on me!  If he had Practical Happiness, we meet on the couch go discuss our annotations.  (It is more private there, and this is a special time 1 on 1 for us!) Finally, he completes his Science with lab and leaves it out on the counter for me to correct.  (I've let him correct his own science the second half of the year, as I corrected it the first half, and he always did well. He loves science!  So, I never worry about him skimping on this.)

His math is taught by my oldest son, as he loves it and is a business major!  This was their idea - apparently I get somewhat tense teaching math, and they prefer doing it together without me.  Who knew?!?  Anyway, the math answer key makes this last subject easy peasy to correct. Then, drumroll, we are done!  Usually by 1:30 PM or so.  Not bad for 4 days a week of high school!  Hope this helps you see how planned meeting times can provide both special 1:1 teaching time and time to correct work!

In Christ,
Julie
Last edited by my3sons on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:34 pm

I also did a blog post on how I used planned meeting times for Creation to Christ, and I'll post the link and text for that below...

https://www.heartofdakota.com/blog/2018 ... rk-easier/

How can planned meeting times help with correcting work more easily?

Plans may differ in level of involvement of teacher and student. But, they have one thing in common… the teacher must make sure the work has been done. This may be done by asking noted questions, checking written work, listening to the student, assisting in editing, etc. But, no matter how correcting is done, it is the teacher making sure all work is completed properly. One thing that makes correcting Heart of Dakota homeschool work super easy is to do it during planned meeting times!

This week, I’ll share how I correct work for my son who is using Creation to Christ. Next week, I’ll share how I correct work for my son in World Geography. Finally, the following week, I’ll share how I correct work for my son in U.S. History II.

Planned Meeting Time for Correcting Creation to Christ’s Bible Quiet Time and Teaching Dictation and Math

For all planned meeting times, Emmett must come with his guide, his books he's used, and all completed work.  He must also bring any subjects I will be teaching during our meeting time.  For the first planned meeting time, he has completed his Bible Quiet Time.  I also teach dictation and math during this first meeting time.  For Bible Quiet Time, I simply ask him if he did each part and then follow the question up with additional checking.  Children are generally honest when asked direct questions!  I have the guide in hand, he has his Bible in hand, and we meet upstairs first thing in the morning.

Our conversation (which is in italics) during this first planned meeting time goes something like this...

Did you read pages 123-124?  What did you find most interesting about it? Oh, I love that part about Jesus too!  Did you pray your prayer of 'supplication?'  Do you want to share what you prayed for, or is it more private? Ok, that's ok!  I keep some of my prayers private too!
Highlighting your verse in your Bible was part of this lesson.  Can you show me your highlighted verse? Good job!
Did you sing with your Phil 2 CD?  Oh good, singing praises to the Lord is so important!  Why don't you sing or say your verses for me?  Thanks - great job! (I only have him say his verse 1 or 2 times a week.)
Today was a day you were supposed to copy your verse in your Common Place Book.  Can you show me that?  Oh shoot!  You forgot!  Let's do it now then.  Next time, try to read your plans more carefully and have your work done by the time we meet, ok?  But, good job overall!

Finally, I end this first planned meeting time teaching dictation and math.  I correct both of these immediately, with answer keys in hand.  I help him fix any mistakes in his dictation and math.
Then, we check off Bible Quiet Time, dictation, and math!  Hooray!

Planned Meeting Time for Correcting Creation to Christ’s Reading about History and Teaching Storytime, Genesis Study or Geography of Holy Lands, Poetry, and History Project

Emmett and I meet on the couch for this meeting time, as we like to cuddle up and read there.  First, Emmett shows me his Reading about History work he completed independently.  Next, I read his Storytime and do the assigned follow-up skill with him.  Then, I read either his Genesis study or his Geography of the Holy Lands.  We do any follow-ups and then read his poetry.  Finally, we discuss what he needs to do to finish his poetry on his own.  We also read through his History Project box directions, and I help him set up for that at the kitchen table.

Our conversation (which is in italics) during this second planned meeting time goes something like this...

Did you read p. 83-85 of Ancient Rome?
Research - Day 1:  Where did you look to find your research answers? Then, I ask the research questions.  The directions say to answer one or more of the questions, so I don't require answers for them all.  He has his answers jotted on a markerboard ready to share.
Copywork - Day 2:  Can you read me the portion you chose from today's reading you found memorable?  Be sure to read with pencil in hand, so you can make any corrections you think you need to as you read.  Let's see your picture you drew.  Great job!  Please fix these things. (I put a sticky note with editing corrections next to the box for easy reference.  He corrects these immediately.)
Timeline - Day 3:  Can you show me your timeline entries?  Oh, I love the shield especially!  Can you use your guide to fix the spelling on the caption though?
Written Narration - Day 4: Did you read p. 90-94 of Ancient Rome?  Please read aloud your written narration.  Please be sure to have pencil in hand, in case you notice any corrections on your own as you read.  Good job fixing that misspelled word!  I loved the part your chose about Jesus' resurrection too!  You still need to highlight the main idea though.  Do you see, here, where it asks you do that in your guide? Let's find the main idea together.  Looking at your editing checklist, you did a great job with indenting and choosing a topic sentence!  You're missing some punctuation though.  Listen to me read this, and see where I pause so you know where to add punctuation.  Let's fix the misspelled words too.  We fix this all quickly together.
Finally, I end this second planned meeting time teaching his Genesis Study or Geography of the Holy Lands.  We do any follow-ups questions.  Map work is saved for the kitchen table, and I use the map answer key to correct it there.  Finally, we read his poetry and make a plan for what he needs to do to finish it on his own.  We also read the directions for the history project and make a plan for him to complete that.
Then, we check off Reading about History and Genesis or Geography Study!  He finishes his poetry and history project independently at the kitchen table.

Planned Meeting Time for Correcting Creation to Christ’s Poetry and History Project, and Teaching Grammar, DITHOR, and/or Write with the Best

Emmett and I meet at the kitchen table to first quickly correct his poetry and his history project.  (If it is a sharing day for the poem, we meet in the addition, and he shares with me and his brothers.) Next, I teach grammar, Write with the Best, and/or DITHOR, depending which are scheduled for the day.  Then, I go through his Independent History Study and Science Exploration directions with him.  We set out anything he needs to complete these.  Finally, he finishes the independent parts of DITHOR, grammar, and WWTB with me nearby to help.  I correct them as soon as he's done, and he finishes his day with his independent history study and science.  These are left out on the kitchen table for me to correct before or after lunch.  As this is getting long - sorry - I won't include my conversation during this block!

Planned meeting times help me stay on top of teaching and correcting!

Planned meeting times help ensure I get both my correcting and my teaching done.  Usually around 3 meeting times have worked well with my younger children.  Two meeting times have been enough with my older children.  The times with older students are much shorter in keeping with the increase in independent work. Planned meeting times make every child feel special.  Important skills are taught from year to year, and meeting times help none to be missed.  Meeting times also mean I'm done with both my teaching and correcting by early afternoon.  My kiddos are too!  This makes our homeschool time a happy time! It is kept in balance, so we can enjoy both our homeschooling and our free time.  Try some planned meeting times in your day!  You may find you love it - just like we do!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:00 pm

Okay, so I know those posts look lengthy, but if you look at them closely, each method of checking goes pretty fast! Once kiddos are in high school, I save time correcting during meeting times by either having my sons read aloud the answers from the answer key while I am looking at the answers they wrote in their workbooks and correcting them, or by having my sons read aloud what they wrote in their workbooks while I am looking at the answer key (and I tell them if they got something wrong and have them fix it).

This year in USI, this works great for Spanish (I have him read his answers while I look at the key, so I am hearing him speak Spanish daily), for Bible (I have him read the answer key while I correct his workbook for his The Most Important Thing You'll Every Study), and for Constitutional Literacy and Government (I have him read the answers he wrote while I look at the answer key).

I also save time by having them read aloud their written narrations (which they are supposed to do anyway to try to self-edit as they read) and history notebooking DVD notes, etc.. I have the HOD guide in hand and check off each thing I'm watching for (i.e. Carrie's guidelines in the plans, like the key topics noted for a topic narration, or the visual aid held up for that type of narration, etc.). Likewise, I have them read aloud their Literature Journals, while I again have the HOD guide in hand and check off each guideline as I hear they did them. I also have them read aloud their Living Library journal entries, again watching for the guidelines noted in the HOD plans.

I almost always listen to the lit and history oral narrations, but if I can't for some reason, I have him record a voice memo of him giving his oral narration and text it to me. It works in a pinch!

We do math and grammar more together. He corrects his science with the answer key and takes a picture of his answers and science experiment and texts them to me, as I am elsewhere at that point. I have all my middle school and high school kiddos say their Bible memory work for me on Day 4 - just works well for us.

We really enjoy our meeting times, and I feel like I am on top of the correcting and on top of making sure things are getting done well on a daily basis - other than writing. I fall behind on correcting their creative writing. Total confession there. I am very behind on correcting the creative writing - not reading it, but correcting it. In fact, I'm headed over to the What are your New Year's Resolutions post now to share that!

Hope something here helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:05 pm

mama4z wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:18 pm
This was probably the one area I was most concerned about when I began homeschooling. I scoured this board and I read every Heart of Dakota blog post and grabbed snippets of advice from all of you! I ended up devising a schedule for my kids, alternating Independent and Together boxes, so when one (or more) are working Independently, I can be working with someone else on a Together box. I call them "Mom Meetings." They know they are to try not to interrupt if it is not their Mom Meeting time. If they are stuck on something I tell them to put a star by it and move on or write it down so they don't forget their question. (For perspective, we are all almost always in the same room together so no one is on an island, and if they have a quick question, sometimes it makes sense for them to ask quickly and move on...
I love visual aids, and yours turned out so well! This makes clear what each child is doing and when he/she is doing it, as well as which child you are teaching and when. Looks great - thanks for sharing these!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie