9th Grade Science Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gods servant

9th Grade Science Question

Post by Gods servant » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:00 pm

Two questions:
Does the Exploration Education Physical Science program count as a high school Science?

My daughter just did Rev to Rev last year, including the Physical Science, and is going into 9th grade this fall. We planned on her doing Missions to Marvels and the Science with that looks amazing! My second question though, is if that Science counts for a high school Science, and if not, what would we need to do to have it count? She can do Biology with our co-op this year, but I was hoping she could do the M to M Science this year and then Biology next year as a 10th grader. Can she count the Science in MTM as Chemistry in high school? She is studying Algebra presently.
20 dd (Homeschool Graduate at San Diego Christian College Psych.)
17 ds (Jr. in high school)
14 dd (MTMM)
12 ds (RTR)
8 dd (MFW Adv in US History)
Married for 24 years to wonderful dh
Used: LHTH, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, WG

chillin'inandover

Re: 9th Grade Science Question

Post by chillin'inandover » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:48 am

God's Servant,
In answer to your question about Rev2Rev science, it can count for physical science credit if you used the advanced version of Exploration Education. On EE website it states Advanced is 7-10th grade.
To answer your 2nd question I'll share what I have done with MTMM science. I have had 1 child go through MTMM and will now have a 2nd child go through. The first child used US1 Chemistry in MTMM. I would not recommend this, but I was teaching Chemistry in co op and my background in school had plenty of science so I was comfortable teaching/mentoring my son should problems arise. My 2nd child will use US2 science and it should be a better fit. I was not comfortable figuring out how to "beef up" MTMM science. There are threads on message board, but it seemed to confusing to me. I can't respond whether MTMM science is high school worthy and my kiddos are science lovers, so I wanted high school level science. This year I'm using MTMM with US2 science, Astronomy and Fossils. That's my recommendation. My kiddos won't complete all high school guides so that they can take advantage of our state program, PSEO, that pays for college in 11th and 12th grade. My daughter is looking forward to US2 science and so am I. I have already used so much of US2, without using the history, that it is still worth purchasing. My son finished Personal Finance yesterday, just in time for next Monday's 1st day of college classes his senior year.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:12 am

God's Servant,
I reread your question fully. If you are considering Biology with co-op, what Biology would they be using? If you can use WH HOD Biology with co-op I would consider that option. I was torn between using WH Biology and US2 Astronomy and Fossils with MTMM. I did have extensive Biology in college, so I am comfortable teaching. I had 5 semesters of Biology, including A&P with cadaver dissection. Plus, like I said previously, my kiddos love science. HOD WH Biology was not "heavy", like Apologia is. It is thorough and I liked the topics. I'd consider HOD WH Biology for a 9th grader, eventhough it is in the 10th grade guide.
My only science regret was having my son do Apologia physics in 10th grade, he should have done IS2 Astronomy/fossils. We survived it, but didn't enjoy/love it. Physics/physical science is not a branch of science I have fondness, nor experience. How about you? The Apologia Physics, if you threw out the math, was enjoyable for my son. I'm sure he will use the principles in his future. I liked the math, but didn't care for the physics, so together we made a good team. Perhaps that's why I never got to WG IPC, I'm not interested. I loved EE advanced and that built a firm foundation for my children's future science.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

Gods servant

Post by Gods servant » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:13 pm

Thank you so much for your response Tammy. Can you tell me where the threads are that talk about beefing up MTMM Science to make it high school?

The Biology that our co-op is teaching is Apologia. My oldest took that Biology so we already own the books, but she did it in an online class plus at co-op she did the experiments. That made it a complete program and she did great with it. This dd won't be in an online class, she'll just have one day a week at co-op. I don't really have the time teach Biology because I have several other children I'm teaching at different levels, so she will need to be mostly independent.

If MTMM could count for high school, I'd like for her to do that because it just seems like such a neat Science to learn and very helpful when it comes to ministering or talking to others from the public school world. My only worry is that I won't be able to find Biology offered again with other homeschoolers to do the experiments with and I don't want to be responsible for that part of Science.

That is great to know that Physical Science from her 8th grade year can count on her high school transcript. I wonder if it would make sense to do:
Freshman - count Physical Science she did last year for this (have her do MTMM Science this year)
Sophomore - MTMM Science or Chemistry (they will probably offer this next year since there are many in Biology this year)
Junior - Biology (hope that some others need this class in two year)
Senior ?
20 dd (Homeschool Graduate at San Diego Christian College Psych.)
17 ds (Jr. in high school)
14 dd (MTMM)
12 ds (RTR)
8 dd (MFW Adv in US History)
Married for 24 years to wonderful dh
Used: LHTH, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, WG

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Here is 1 thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6220
Tammy