Bigger timeline set up [confirming what I think]

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof2n2

Bigger timeline set up [confirming what I think]

Post by momof2n2 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:26 am

Anyone who has done bigger - for the timeline, did you just take a manilla file folder and open it up and draw the lines in it? It sounds simple and good, but unusual. Hey - maybe I will do it even if that ISN'T what Carrie means. :P
Help???

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

netpea

Re: Bigger timeline set up [confirming what I think]

Post by netpea » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:31 am

That's basically what I was planning to do.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:08 pm

You've got it right girls! You're amazing! :D :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Natreez

Post by Natreez » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:41 pm

I'm having a hard time visualizing this...does anyone have any photos they would be willing to share?? Thanks!

Natreez
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:46 am

This is not the way the timeline is explained in the manuals, but it is an idea I saw somewhere else, and I may put it to use myself. Someone has used a "postcard holder" from Oriental Trading to hold index cards with writing/pictures of the people or events in history. I don't know how durable the one on that site is, and I've read somewhere that you can make this easily with just a clear shower curtain and some extra plastic, both of which I have on hand.

The folder method (I believe) is just two folders taped together on the long end, with columns drawn for each time period, and the entries go into the little boxes under each century's heading. As you find them in the manual and list them, they are in chronological order. Someone has posted a picture here of what it looks like. I'll see if I can find it.

Hmmm, couldn't find it with a search...maybe someone will show up soon to post a photo.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:47 am

I have to go to work, but I will take a pic of mine soon.
Carrie - I LOVE this idea. Two in one! :D

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:43 pm

This is what I envisioned when I read the description of the timeline. I've been collecting file folders so we would have enough...for the two olders, and possibly myself. It does seem simple, which is great in our house! :D We start Monday, and I'm looking at my manual right now in preparation. :? I know it will be fun to go through Bigger...and I'm looking forward to the stricter schedule again. I feel we ALL need it.

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:35 pm

that is such a cool idea!! 8) We are using a notebook type timeline, and I only printed off from 1300-2099. It has two pages per century. Then I made tiny little cut out people and use my scrapbook adhesive thingie (that's the technical term...thingie...:lol: it makes the cut outs into stickers) and we put the people in the time line that way. then they try to color them to match pictures of the people they are supposed to be.

I think we will start putting events on the timeline with items-like a gold coin when we get to the gold rush, etc etc. That way there are more then just people on their. Then again, keeping it "just" people makes them remember why that person was important. :wink:
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: