5th Grader in Bigger or Preparing? Placement help!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
JenB12

5th Grader in Bigger or Preparing? Placement help!

Post by JenB12 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Hello!
We are a homeschooling family of seven years. We have always been very Charlotte Mason inspired, and for the most part, I have always pieced together our curriculum. I am looking to step into a program that is already planned out, and Heart of Dakota is on the top of my list.

I am trying to place my soon to be 5th grader (he will be 11 in September), and am having a hard time doing so. I would appreciate some thoughts from those of you with experience with these guides. Thank you so much!

When using the placement chart, he places into Bigger, but then when looking at Preparing, I wonder if it would be a better fit.

Reading: He is independently reading, but still has some struggles. I would say he's at Level 2 in Drawn into the Heart of Reading.

Writing: He has not yet had cursive instruction. He will this upcoming school year. I really like the look of the Cheerful Cursive program. He does copywork regularly, and can write some simple sentences on his own.

Grammar, Mechanics and Usage: He has only had some informal grammar through our Latin studies, which are all done orally. I own both Rod and Staff 2 and 3. When looking at them, I know he would benefit most from starting with 2. He is wanting to write, and we have dabbled with some written narrations. They definitely need work as far as grammar usage. He has been doing oral narrations for years, so no problems there.

Math: We probably will not use Singapore, so I'm not sure where he would place. He places in 4th grade level for Rod and Staff math.

The reasons for considering Preparing over Bigger:
1. I'm unsure if the content in Bigger would appeal to an 11 year old boy. Thoughts on this?
2. Even though his writing needs serious work, he's at a point where he wants to transition to at least attempting some written narrations and creative writing.
3. I'm looking at the long term....will we be too far behind in guides? Is it possible to skip a guide or two once his skills improve?

Thank you so much again!
Jen

manyblessings

Re: 5th Grader in Bigger or Preparing? Placement help!

Post by manyblessings » Sat May 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Just reading your description, I think Preparing would be a more appropriate placement. Rod and Staff 3 would prepare him for future grammar study, and you can do a lot of it orally, choosing one portion for written work. Preparing works on writing skills in an interesting way through poetry, and introduces the student to independence and semi-independence in some areas. You really wouldn't have to skip guides in the future. Just continue one per year. At that rate Missions to Modern Marvels is the guide he would be in for 9th grade, which covers the second half of American History and is easily made credit-worthy for 9th grade. He would simply end up with the US History I guide in his 12th grade year. So: 5th through 12th would be Preparing, CTC, RtR, RevtoRev, MTMM, World Geography, World History, US History I.
Last edited by manyblessings on Thu May 23, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev

JenB12

Post by JenB12 » Sun May 19, 2019 8:49 pm

manyblessings wrote:Just reading your description, I think Preparing would be a more appropriate placement. Rod and Staff 3 would prepare him for future grammar study, and you can do a lot of it orally, choosing one portion for written work. Preparing works on writing skills in an interesting way through poetry, and introduces the student to independence and semi-independence in some areas. You really wouldn't have to skip guides in the future. Just continue one per year. At that rate Missions to Modern Marvels is the guide he would be in for 9th grade, which covers the second half of American History and is easily made credit-worthy for 9th grade. He would simple end up with the US History I guide in his 12th grade year. So: 5th through 12th would be Preparing, CTC, RtR, RevtoRev, MTMM, World Geography, World History, US History I.

With your description, Preparing does sound like the better fit. Thank you so much!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Sounds like you have a wonderful plan going forward! Preparing Hearts is such a delight, and I am excited for you and your son to begin! You can easily start with R & S English 3, as it has excellent and ample review of R & S English 2. You can have your son work through Cheerful Cursive a lesson a day at a time and have him print the assigned work in PHFHG. Then, the following year, you can have him do the copywork noted to be done in cursive in CTC, while still having him practice his printing for the rest of the written work. If you have any further questions or need help placing your order, just give our family a call at Heart of Dakota - we'd be happy to help!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie