9th Grade Physical Science?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rgrindle

9th Grade Physical Science?

Post by rgrindle » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:59 pm

Our state college board requires an entire year of Physics or Physical Science and an entire year of Chemistry... and "Intro" to either doesn't cut it. We still have to do a year of Biology and a year of another "Advanced" science on top of it. Since we aren't starting Algebra until 9th grade, moving WH Biology forward a year won't work well, from what I understand. And since we used EE Advanced in 7th grade with Rev2Rev, using it again in 9th grade seems ridiculous. Any ideas of another Physics/Physical Science to use for 9th grade that does not have Algebra as a prereq?
DS(13.5) - Rev2Rev, R&S Grammar 6, Principles of Math 1
DS(12) - Res2Ref, R&S Grammar 5, Singapore Math 6

christianmom

Re: 9th Grade Physical Science?

Post by christianmom » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:30 pm

The integrated Physics / Chemistry in 9th with WG I believe would cover your physical science credit.

What they are wanting is typical. Two basic science sequences are often used:

Biology
Chemistry
Physics
AP science

Or:

Physical Science - I believe WG Integrated Physics covers this credit.
Biology
Chemistry
Physics or elective science or AP Biology or AP Chemistry

It looks like you are on track to do the second sequence with the math. He could though do Biology with Algebra 1, and he could do Chemistry while doing Algebra 2. He would need to complete Geometry / Trig though before Physics, and so the second sequence would probably work better for you.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:35 pm

IPC in the World Geography guide is physical science. IPC and physical science are basically the same thing, and you can count one as the other as needed for your state. Since you are on the "standard" track for algebra, I would do the high school guide science as written.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:02 pm

StephanieU wrote:IPC in the World Geography guide is physical science. IPC and physical science are basically the same thing, and you can count one as the other as needed for your state. Since you are on the "standard" track for algebra, I would do the high school guide science as written.
Agreed! Good advice!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie