8th Grade Science -- Need help!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
aecastleberry

8th Grade Science -- Need help!

Post by aecastleberry » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:40 pm

In my state, students take physical science in 8th grade. Students on the Honors Path are required to take 4 further sciences in high school (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and a "you choose" science course as their 4th credit).

My daughter will be in MtMM next year. She loves looking through the HOD catalog 8) and she has been very excited to use the Intro. to Chemistry science portion of MtMM.

So now I don't really know what to do with science next year, as physical science is scheduled in HOD with the World Geography guide.

1) I'm totally freaked out by having to figure out a science schedule outside of the HOD guide as I have a dyslexic 11 yo who requires a LOT of me (plus a 7 yo who requires me for most things, too)
2) We have loved all of HOD's choices, so I hate to veer off.

--
My daughter is definitely headed for the Honors Path in high school, so I do not want to get her off track. Would it be possible for her to double up her science next year with a physical science course AND the Intro. into Chemistry? Is that crazy???

What would other options be?

--
I do know that the Apologia physical science course is pretty intense, but I don't know of other physical science options available. I also realize that doing physical science in 8th will mean that I have to figure out our own science in World Geography -- but at least I'd have another year to worry about that. :wink:
It's hard to be discontent when you count your blessings.
Amber - Amazed by Grace, Wife to Scott, Mama to 3, Teacher, Photographer, Writer
daughter, 15 WH
son, 13 Boys Adventure Co-OP, CTC
son, 9 Preparing

StephanieU

Re: 8th Grade Science -- Need help!

Post by StephanieU » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Did she do the physical science in Rev2Rev? If so, and you are using MtMM for 8th grade, you don't need to do another year of it. You would need to change the high school sequence, but MtMM would be fine as is.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

aecastleberry

Post by aecastleberry » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:12 pm

She is finishing up the physical science in Rev2Rev right now. She's done great with it. So are you saying that with the Rev2Rev science + the MtMM science that would equate to a complete physical science program? That would be amazing if so!
Amber - Amazed by Grace, Wife to Scott, Mama to 3, Teacher, Photographer, Writer
daughter, 15 WH
son, 9 Preparing

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:15 pm

The advanced EE is enough for high school credit. So even if you just do the regular, you should be okay.

I grew up in a state where if you were on the STEM/honors track, you never took physical science. We did standard middle school science, and then everyone did biology in 9th grade. Those not on the honors track took physical science in 10th grade. The rest of us took chemistry. So I personally don't think it is absolutely necessary to take it ever!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

aecastleberry

Post by aecastleberry » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:29 am

Thanks so much for your input, StephanieU! :D
daughter, 15 WH
son, 9 Preparing