Finishing math early

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

Finishing math early

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:00 pm

I have posted before about my concerns with Penelope (6 years old, LHFHG, math/handwriting at her pace, not quite reading, but close... can read familiar words in context) passing Evie (10 next month, finishing Bigger and starting Preparing around her birthday, right side at her pace with a bit of pushing on math, reading level 2 DITHOR) in math. Well it seems as if it's inevitable... so I'm basically just preparing Evie in gentle ways for that to happen.

My question now is what do I do when Penelope finishes Singapore? Most likely she will be quite young. She's almost halfway through 2A, and won't be 7 until October. We have slowed down a little in the past few weeks because she gets very very bored with doing the same thing for multiple lessons in a row, and she considers borrowing in subtraction and carrying in addition the same thing. And since she is so far ahead I don't push it. When she's done for the day we stop. However, I still expect her to be finished with 6B at about 9 or 10. What do I do after that for her? I know I"m thinking several years in advance, but she has finished both K books, 1A/B, and will finish 2A/B before she's 7.

StephanieU

Re: Finishing math early

Post by StephanieU » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:03 pm

I haven't used Singapore, but I know most kids slow down in late second and third grade, to the point that they at most do a level a year. So if she does 2B-3A for first grade, she would finish 6B half way through fifth grade.
My oldest finished Horizons 6 at that age (right after her 11th birthday). We decided to do Principles of Math 1 over a semester as a review. Then we will do Principles of Math 2 most likely over a year before moving in to Algebra 1 at the beginning of what we will call her 8th grade year (she will graduate at 17 most likely).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:28 am

So Principles of Math 1/2.... is that more math or is it pre algebra... or something else? I will look into it more when I have time, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I can see her slowing down simply because she won't want to do all the work it entails between the guides and the math :shock: :lol: but then again she's only about 2/3 of the way through LHFHG right now so it'll be several years before she has harder work really. But I cannot see her slowing down for lack of understanding the math if that makes sense. If Evie reads her problems out loud Penelope answers it before Evie gets the answer.

Just this morning I had the thought that I will try to find some books at the dollar store that focus on time/money/measuring that I can do with her between the SM books... She completely understands all that so far, but it never hurts to have more practice, and it's something that she doesn't get bored with doing. I also thought I could get both of them some basic multiplication/division workbooks just to strengthen that for Evie and give Penny something else to do. I know I can do all that stuff without workbooks and outside of school, which we do, but they love the workbooks. But all that will not stop her from wanting to do at least one lesson per day in her regular math workbook. And some days the stuff is so easy for her that she gets done in 5-10 minutes and is begging for more. We do not work more than 15-20 minutes, but I feel bad making her stop after only 5-10. I don't want her to stop loving it.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:24 am

Principles of Math is Pre-Algebra. It is what Carrie has scheduled. Most that complete Singapore 6 can go to Level 2, but we are taking a semester just to do an easy review. So far she has learned all math that had been covered in the first 5 out of 21 units.

I think kids start showing down because the workload just increases. In the early years, your can get a lesson done very quickly. But as the problems get harder, they simply take longer to do.

Have you also considered looking for the chaining word problem workbooks from Singapore? We bought one, and it was truly challenging! It might be just what she needs...
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:43 am

I will definitely look into the chaining word problem books!

I was looking for examples of the principles of math, but couldn't find any. Knowing it's pre-algebra really helps.

Between the math just getting harder, her getting bored with repetition (we only did 6 problems today because she is SO VERY BORED with borrowing and carrying), the extra books on measuring/time/money, and the word problem books it should definitely give her more than enough to keep her busy.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:44 am

I also realized I mis-spoke in my original post... she's about halfway or so through 2B, not 2A...