Rev2Rev high school credits

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
roseannvj

Rev2Rev high school credits

Post by roseannvj » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:29 pm

The catalog says on page 10 that if you have a high school student using a program in the extension range to visit the main board for directions on which probs are credit worthy. I can't seem to find this post. Can you help me?
Roseann
Res2Ref- 12 & 13 y/o
PHFHG - 10y/o
BHFHG - 8y/o
LHTH - 5 yr old

kidsforHim

Re: Rev2Rev high school credits

Post by kidsforHim » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:05 pm

This thread might be what it was talking about? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6571 It talks about beefing up the younger guides for high school.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:21 pm

roseannvj wrote:The catalog says on page 10 that if you have a high school student using a program in the extension range to visit the main board for directions on which probs are credit worthy. I can't seem to find this post. Can you help me?
Hi roseannvj! I just helped someone with a similar question and thought I'd share our email with final placement thoughts for RevtoRev for 9th grade...

To start, I'll just mention that there are two ways to award high school credit. There is the traditional method of assigning credit based on time spent on coursework. Typically 1 Carnegie unit of credit is for 120 hours of work, or 160 forty-five minute class periods. There is also the other option for awarding credit based on quality of work completed, rather than just the time spent. This is often used in homeschool settings, where students may work at faster or slower rates and aren't having to sit in a class for a certain amount of time. This works well with homeschool settings, as the goal is knowledge of the subject taught, not just to spend a certain amount of time on the subject. Making Rev. to Rev. credit worthy will depend upon what your state requirements are for high school (and also what type of higher education plans you have for your child as to whether that child is college bound, etc). I think the best way to go about this is to give you a list of what your student will need for 9th grade and then give you a general overview of what the next 3 years of high school will look like. Below you’ll find the credits that can be earned and the packages you’d need to order. The “*” items are suggested ways to beef up the courses to make them high school credit worthy…

1.0 Credit American History & 0.5 Credit of Government:
RevtoRev Economy Package w/ State Study & Signers
RevtoRev Extension Package
*Federalist Papers (Not all, but for sure 10,14,84,78,70,39,51)
*5,000 Year Leap
*Note: Or, do Government from US1 guide later, possibly as a summer course or alongside 11th or 12th grade year.

1.0 Credit Physical Science with Lab:
Science Add On – Option #2

1.0 Credit Language Arts – English 1:
The Exciting World of Creative Writing - $8.00
Drawn into the Heart of Reading – 6/7/8 Student Book - $33.95
Level 7/8 Boy Pack - $112.63
Progressing with Courage – grammar 6 Pupil - $21.43
Progressing with Courage – grammar 6 Teacher - $29.58

1.0 Credit Bible:
Bible Study included in RevtoRev Economy Package
*Balancing the Sword
*How Then Should We Live?
*Note: Or, add the reading of the 4 Gospels or something of that level and time.

0.5 Credit Fine Arts – Music Appreciation:
Composer Study in the RevtoRev Economy Package
*Lives of the Great Composers
*The Gift of Music
*Additional in-depth listening to some composers of your choosing
*Short paper or two on a composer(s).
*Note: The above * need not ALL be done, but this is at your discretion.

0.5 Foreign Language:
Getting Started with Spanish, completing a few lessons a day at the start, and then one lesson a day when they get longer. This will help the course be completed within a year.
Getting Started with Spanish ($20.95) is something that we have used with our son and it is scheduled in our World Geography guide.

1.0 Credit of Math:
One of our choices of Algebra 1

The above plan will give you 6.5 credits for the 9th grade year.

The following years in general would go as follows:

10th grade - MTMM with extensions (counts as one credit in American History 2; 1/2 credit in Bible or add more for a full credit; add to science or use WG science; use WG English for English II (lit./comp/grammar - 1 credit); electives/etc.
11th grade - WG
12th grade - WH

I hope this helps! But, we can discuss each year as it approaches to work out the details as well! It is easy to make a transcript via http://www.transcriptmaker.com, so that is a super help too! If you have any more questions, please let us know! We are always here to help - via FB, email, message board, website, catalog, conventions, and phone. When it comes time to place your order, I’d be glad to help with that as well – just give us a call! Our family appreciates your support, and we look forward to serving you!!!

In Christ,
Julie Grosz
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:24 pm

Also, here are some additional notes from Carrie and me helping another family with English credit options for RevtoRev for 9th and forward...

English credit:
For a student who places in RevtoRev for 9th, and in R & S English 6, do ½ of R & S English 6, do Exciting World of Creative Writing, and do DITHOR 6/7/8 with EITHER at least 6 of 7/8 Girl/Boy Interest books OR with the WG Girl set OR WG Boy set lit books only (NOT BJU)

Then for MTMM for 10th, last ½ of R & S English 6, WWTB Vol. 2, WG Bob Jones Lit (with or without girl or boy set; may have done boy /girl set last year; either way, can be done with or without them

Then for WG for 11th, first ½ of R & S English 7, EIW Grade 10, use WH Lit

Then for WH for 12th, second ½ of R & S English 7, EIW Grade 11, use USI Lit (because will need American Lit)

Hope this helps!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie