High School Grading Samples

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jer2911mom

High School Grading Samples

Post by jer2911mom » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:44 pm

Hi,

I have a rising 9th grader and have been looking at the introduction to the WG guide. I was wondering if you would consider posting samples of the grading pages actually filled in. When I look at these pages, I see percentages for the different areas, but not exactly how to come up with the scores to average for those percentages. I don't see point values for the individual items listed, or a breakdown of how to weight the different items within a percentage category. I'm not sure exactly what to record on each line beside the assignments, or what to record on the main line for a group of assignments. Is it intended we record the average of the assignments on the main line, or the average times the percent it is worth? I think seeing samples of the completed pages would help me understand the intent better. I tend to spin my wheels with details, and falling into a black hole trying to figure out grades is one of my biggest concerns for high school. :) I really want to keep it simple, but I need a system I understand in order to do that.

Thanks!
Kathy

my3sons

Re: High School Grading Samples

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Hi Kathy! Hope you are doing well! Carrie asked me to share the threads below with you (the first thread is also listed as part of the second thread's included links, but it is such a good one :) ). She also mentioned there is quite a bit of grading information that should be helpful to you there. The grading sheets are meant to be a tool that each family can use as they see fit. There is some discussion in these threads about how families are using these tools to grade, but there is no one right way to do it. It is also meant to be a record of what the student has been asked to do for the year, which is helpful in proving what the student has done for the year and how in-depth that coverage is...

Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17835&p=122560

Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15348

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie