Common place journal

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kidsforHim

Common place journal

Post by kidsforHim » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Do you buy a brand new journal for each guide. We will be finishing Preparing in about 5 weeks and I am looking ahead to what I will need to buy for CtC. Should we get a brand new journal or could we continue with the one we are using now.

StephanieU

Re: Common place journal

Post by StephanieU » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:39 pm

No, we continue the common place book year after year. That way they have one place to go for "memorable" quotes and verses. We will only buy another one when the original is full or almost full (if we only have a few pages left at the end of a school year, we will probably go to a new one then).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:27 pm

We continued to use the same book from year to year. My son, who likes science, started a scientific inquiry in a journal. We learned that Michael Faraday kept a Common Place Book, that was a neat discovery.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Perfect :) thank you both!
chillin'inandover wrote:We learned that Michael Faraday kept a Common Place Book, that was a neat discovery.
That is interesting! I keep telling myself I need to start keeping a Common Place book myself.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:37 pm

I started keeping one myself, and I love it! I mainly write things from the devotional I read in the morning, often Scripture or quotes I like. I do also use it like a journal/diary, where I write personal thoughts, goals, etc. too. So, I guess it's not exactly a Common Place Book in the traditional sense, but still, I have learned to look forward to that time each morning so much!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie