high school help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
crlacey

high school help

Post by crlacey » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:47 am

My daughter has done most of the HOD programs from LHTH through MTMM. She dabbled in WG for 9th grade, but asked to try a World History textbook instead. She did ok with that, but missed the living books. For 10th grade, she's been using Sonlight 100 for American History. The history part is ok, but she very disappointed in the lit and storytime books included. Also, she's just generally disappointed with the LA portion feeling to easy. Is there a way we can still salvage this year? Would you switch her mid-year and into which program? If not, what do you suggest?

Here are her high school credits so far:
9th grade:
World History
General Science (from HOD WG)
English 9
Algebra 1
Spanish 1
Animation .05 credit
Driver's Ed .05 credit
Art 101
Phys Ed/ Health .05 credit

10th grade courses she's working on:
American History (Core 100)
Biology
English 10
Algebra 2
Spanish 2
Personal Finance (Financial Peace University)
Yearbook
Intro to Graphic Design .05 credit
Cake Decorating .05 credit
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

my3sons

Re: high school help

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Hi crlacey! Good to hear from you, and thanks for the update here! I'd like to conference with Carrie about this, but she is at the hospital with her son for awhile. Could you please share what credits your daughter is still needing to graduate, as well as what her potential plans are post high school (i.e. 4 year college or community college, etc.)? I think I'd switch now, as that gives more time to earn credits and as I think your daughter would love returning to HOD's high school - the books just are truly amazing! But before I contact Carrie, I want to have all the info I'd need. I am checking the board more often now and plan to continue to do so, so I'll watch for your follow-up post. Looking forward to helping your dd re-enter HOD happily and successfully for her remaining high school credits!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 am

Julie,
Thanks for a speedy response. I hope all is going well with Carrie's son getting treatment that he needs.

Kate plans to attend a Christian College for a Bachelors Degree in Graphic Design.
NC doesn't officially have state standards for homeschoolers so we are flexible, but we are aiming for the following credits to follow the public schools:

4 English Credits:
1. English 9 (done)
2. English 10 (halfway done)

4 Math Credits:
1. Algebra 1 (done)
2. Algebra 2 (almost finished)
3. Geometry

4 Social Studies Credits:
1. Civics and Economics
2. World History (done)
3. US History 1 (started with Sonlight Core 100)
4. US History 2

3 Science Credits:
1. Physical Science (done)
2. Earth Science (planning for Chemistry grade 11)
3. Biology (almost complete)

1 Health/Phys Ed credit (done 1/2)

6 Electives:
1. Spanish 1 (done)
2. Spanish 2 (working on currently)
3. Yearbook (working on now)
4. Art 101 (done)
5. Graphic Design
She has 0.5 credits in Animation, Cake Decorating and Personal Finance

After writing all this out, I think I could potentially stop her history now, and let her finish all of her other courses using some of the literature suggestions from the WG and WH guides. Then maybe start her on US1 for 11th grade. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Crystal
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi crlacey! Just wanted to let you know I am visiting with Carrie about this tonight, and I will post a response tomorrow! She is just back home, sorry for the delay!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:37 pm

I was able to visit with Carrie last night about your post. First, thank you for providing the credits your daughter has had, as well as the credits you would like her to earn - those details made our conversation so much easier! From what you've shared, for the rest of this year, we can see the need to stop what she is doing and make a change in finishing out her English credit, and we think any of the following options would work well:

*For the literature part of the English credit, she can use the World History Literature along with the WH guide's plans. She can just do about 16-17 weeks worth of the literature and its plans. She can either pick up the lit plans midway or just pick and choose her favorites to finish out the year (we are guessing that might be about 16-17 weeks' worth of plans). We think she would enjoy these books and being able to choose according to her interests!!! We also think these titles are better prep for USI the following year than the WG Lit titles would be.
*For the composition part of the English credit, she can use World History's Essentials in Writing Grade 11. She can either skip the first units and pick some units to do based on interest or on what you feel she needs. As part of her work, you will probably want her to do the research paper at the end. Or, she could also EIW Grade 11 over the remaining and over her 11th grade year. Then she can do In Their Sandals.
*For grammar, depending on what levels she has done before, she can do 2 lessons a week of R & S English 6, 7, or 8.

For the remaining part of this year, your daughter could read any of the WH Living Library she wants to - we think she would love these books and being able to choose according to her interests!
She also could do the WH Pilgrim's Progress study for the remaining part of this year. It is planned 1 x a week in WH, so if she did it 2 or 3 x's a week for the rest of this year, she could complete it easily. It is just a wonderful study!

Then, next year for 11th grade, she can do USI as written. The following year she can do USII as written. This will help her finish out her credits and have some wonderful living books to enjoy as well!

Thank you so much for your patience! I could have tried to answer this while Carrie was in the hospital with Grey, but I really wanted to wait until she was home so we could conference together about it. I figure our '3 heads together - you, Carrie, and me - are better than 1,' right?!? I hope this helps!!! Excited for your daughter to make the switch and get back to enjoying the rest of her year with HOD! Just give us a call if you need help putting together your order. I am available every afternoon, Monday through Friday, and I'd be happy to help! It was wonderful to hear from you, crlacey - missed you!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie