What to do with a younger child who is an advanced reader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hsnewbie

What to do with a younger child who is an advanced reader?

Post by hsnewbie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:26 pm

I have two children who will be starting their second year with HOD in a couple of weeks. This past school year my son (just turned 8 this summer) and daughter (age 6.5) completed LHFHG for their 1st Grade and Kindergarten year. We really loved it!

I want to continue on without skipping guides to make sure we are covering all subjects well. This year we plan to use Beyond for 2nd & 1st grades combined. The only thing my children do differently are the levels of Singapore math workbooks.

However, both children have greatly excelled in reading and I'm wondering if I should do anything differently this year with Beyond? (To give you an example, my son already read through all of the Little House on the Prairie books independently at age 7).

Since there are no sections in the Beyond guide labeled for "Independent" learning, should I consider asking my children to do that for some areas anyway? I noticed there are also no options yet for extension packs (higher level reading) for Beyond.

Even though my children are really good at reading, I think they still need lots of handwriting practice with copywork, etc., and they are young enough that I don't think they have the patience yet to be pushed too far ahead too quickly in most areas.

I would appreciate any input! Thank you! :D

And p.s. ... For future reference, do people sometimes use the Extension Packs for advanced readers, or only for children who are actually above the age range of the curriculum?

StephanieU

Re: What to do with a younger child who is an advanced reade

Post by StephanieU » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:28 pm

I have bought some of the extensions for my daughter as free reading books. I don't assign them, but I make them available to get to read.
I also have been buying more of the storytime books for Beyond, Bigger, and recently CtC for her to have as free reading books. These are simply great books that I don't have to worry about not being appropriate.

As for adding to Beyond, instead of adding to the formal school day, I would just supply them with many quality books to read. You could let them read additional Storytime books for Beyond. You could get quality series like Rush Revere or Imagination Station. Don't make the formal say harder or longer, but give them ample opportunity to read things that are of interest to them.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:12 am

Also, check out the book packs here...Carrie has chosen some great options that you can have on hand for free reading time 8) https://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into.php

manyblessings

Post by manyblessings » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:49 pm

Beyond does offer the option of using Drawn into the Heart of Reading for the independent reader, level 2/3, for your 8 year old. I don't think the children need any other independent work at that age, even if they are good readers. Even the Bigger Hearts guide does not have independent work sections, that starts in Preparing. I would just add lots of free reading from the library for an advanced reader. No need to require additional formal work when they are young.
Last edited by manyblessings on Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev

manyblessings

Post by manyblessings » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:55 pm

You could also add the Rod and Staff English book 2 for your 8 year old. It's scheduled one lesson per day in Bigger, but using it for him while he does Beyond can give him more of a challenge if you think he needs it.
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev