Proverbs + Character Traits in Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mylittlewomen

Proverbs + Character Traits in Bigger

Post by mylittlewomen » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:27 pm

So...I am a little confused as to how some of the Proverbs illustrate the character traits in Bigger Hearts! :oops: Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe someone can explain some of them to me? Or did you sub verses that made more sense to you? Thanks!!

These are the ones that I'm having trouble with:

Unit 3, Boldness: All a man’s ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the Lord.
Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16: 2-3

Unit 5, Responsibility: The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10

Unit 9, Thriftiness: Better a little with the fear of the Lord than great wealth with turmoil.Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred. Proverbs 15:16-17

Unit 15, Initiative: He who scorns instruction will pay for it, but he who respects a command is rewarded. Proverbs 13:13

Unit 17, Endurance: In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

Unit 21, Decisiveness (same as unit 31?) "All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty."
Proverbs 14:23

Unit 25, Hopefulness: Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and
nothing you desire can compare with her.Proverbs 8:10-11

Unit 32, Patience: Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle. Proverbs 14:6
Janelle
Married to my best friend for 12 years
Mama to 3 sweet girls, ages 6, 8, and 10
Working Bigger with my oldest two, and Little Hearts with my little one!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Proverbs + Character Traits in Bigger

Post by Carrie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:41 am

Janelle,

The Proverbs and the character traits are designed to go hand-in-hand with the readings that you are doing for history for that week. This is why you will see some unique Proverbs selected for each trait. When pulling the traits and the proverbs out of that context, they will lose all of that connectedness. :D

The questions in the Bible Study box on Days 1-2, the key ideas in the Bible Study box each day, and the Bible passages on Day 5 additionally flesh out the connections. As we have had the opportunity to visit with thousands of families through the years, we have heard often that the character training and Proverbs study woven within Bigger Hearts is their favorite part of the program. While you can easily sub out the verses if you desire, I wouldn't want you to miss out on the connections with the history. Having done Bigger Hearts with three different boys in our house, I have enjoyed seeing my boys grow in their faith and their character through their year with Bigger Hearts. :D We pray you will enjoy Bigger Hearts as well!

Blessings,
Carrie

mylittlewomen

Re: Proverbs + Character Traits in Bigger

Post by mylittlewomen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:46 am

Thank you, Carrie!
That makes sense that they connect with the history! I haven't done this guide yet, so I don't know all the ins & outs, but am preparing to use it for next year. :) I will go forward as listed, and we are so looking forward to it! It looks like an AMAZING guide!!
Janelle
Janelle
Married to my best friend for 12 years
Mama to 3 sweet girls, ages 6, 8, and 10
Working Bigger with my oldest two, and Little Hearts with my little one!