3rd and 5th graders in Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HSMom03

3rd and 5th graders in Bigger

Post by HSMom03 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Hi all,
I'm trying to get an idea of what I want to do in the Fall. My boys will be in grades 5 and 3, they will be 10 and 8 years old. I'm planning to put them in Bigger Hearts, I just have a few questions. Bigger Hearts recommends Level 2/3 Drawn into the Heart of Reading but that doesn't seem high enough level for my 5th grader. Which level will he be? Same with Grammar, will level 2 Rod & Staff be enough for my 3rd grader? Which level should I get for my 5th grader? Also they will be in Singapore levels 4B/5A and 2B/3A in math, those are not really in the guide. Thanks!

StephanieU

Re: 3rd and 5th graders in Bigger

Post by StephanieU » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:50 pm

First with DITHOR, the goal is to complete the three levels of workbook by the end on 8th grade and/or MtMM. Since a full level is completed in Bigger, 2/3 is a great place to start! My oldest will be starting RtR for 6th grade this summer and will be starting the 4/5 workbook at the same time. The levels are not grades! The level 2 book pack is 3rd grade reading level, and you want the books to be easy reads for Dithor (not challenging).

Rod and Staff is advanced. Levels 2 and 3 aren't particularly challenging, but Level 4 could easily by middle school level. Most do Level 2 for 3rd grade, level 3 in 4th grade, and then Level 5 split over 5th and 6th. The goal within HOD is to complete Level 6 by the end of 8th grade and level 8 by the end of high school.

For math, the schedule for Level 3 is in the appendix. Level 2 has activities in the guide as well. After Level 2 in Bigger, there are no activities. Or is only pacing/scheduling that is on the guides. If you have been using Singapore previously, you should have an idea of pacing already.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

HSMom03

Post by HSMom03 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks! So I want DITHOR level 2/3 with level 2 book pack for my 5th grader, level 5 Rod & Staff to split over 5th and 6th grades (he hasn't completed any of the lower levels, levels 2-4, is that a problem?), and just continue what we're doing for math??

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:33 pm

For Dithor, you most likely want the 3 or 4/5 book pack, but use the 2/3 workbook.
For grammar, what has he done before? Has he used another program? Many coming to GOD use Level 4 if they haven't had any formal grammar.
Mom to

HSMom03

Post by HSMom03 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:52 pm

He hasn't had any formal grammar. If we use level 4 R&S, will we be behind? I found a placement test for R&S English but there was no answer key. The questions for grade 3 looked like things we haven't covered (they recommended test 2 grade levels below).

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:12 pm

Honestly, you won't be really behind. Rod and Staff 6 is more than most kids get in schools. Even Rod and Staff 4 and 5 exceed what many get!

And personally, I would want to place my kids where they are, not where they should be. This gives them time to grow and actually learn. If you go too high, you will end up spending more time and energy trying to teach background knowledge. I think Level 3 or 4 is a good starting spot. Grammar does intrinsically have lots of review, so if he is a solid reader and has been doing things like copywork and dictation, Level 4 should be fine I think.
Mom to

HSMom03

Post by HSMom03 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks, that helps a lot!

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:18 pm

if your 5th grader has not done any formal grammar, I would start him/her out in level 3. It is a good basic level. That is what I did with my oldest when she was in 5th grade. Level 5 is hard!! My high schooler is using it and I am re-learning things with her. Level 5 is where I am ending R&S. I am switching over to Fix-It Grammar by IEW for both my kids. My oldest needs the grammar to write and I think it will work better for her.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)