World Geo - Chemistry and Physics ?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
DutchFam7

World Geo - Chemistry and Physics ?

Post by DutchFam7 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:36 am

Hi Carrie or Anyone Else Who Can Help!

We are just starting Hearts for Him Through High School-World Geography. I am a bit confused about the Integrated Physics and Chemistry materials. Can you help?

Question 1: Are the "activity sheets" (found in the IP&C Activities book) that are to be completed after the lesson's reading supposed to be "open book" per say. The instructions say read the material through once, then read the material again while answering the activity questions. So that seems to imply "open book".

Question 2: Are we not doing any of the quizzes or tests? It doesn't say anything in your lesson plan book about any quiz or test, but the IP&C answer keys direct you to complete the quiz/test at certain times. There is nothing in the grading system about quizzes or tests either. Help?

Many thanks!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: World Geo - Chemistry and Physics ?

Post by Carrie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:58 am

Great questions! As far as the activity books go, the students are definitely meant to refer back to their reading as they complete the follow-up questions. :D

We do not include the tests or quizzes simply due to the very rigorous schedule we use to complete the materials in a single year. TIner's Integrated Physics and Chemistry course contains 12 chapters, with 742 pages of physics and chemistry related-topics. There are 180 individual readings in the course, each taking up 4-5 pages. The content coverage is very solid, as you can imagine with this many pages of text! :D We use all 12 chapters of the text, which results in 1-2 readings a day on most days. We also use all of the accompanying activity books as a follow-up to the readings. :D

The publisher mentions that two credits could be awarded for the Integrated Physics and Chemistry coursework, with one credit for intro. to physics and another credit for intro. to chemistry. After having our own oldest three sons do all 12 chapters of the IPC course as a freshman, we feel with the time it took to complete the course that awarding only 1 credit is more in alignment with typical high school standards. However, it is one very full credit!

Since Tiner's text does not include labwork, in order to include labs, we added the MicroPhySci Kit from Quality Science Labs. This makes the course a lab science. The kit includes 36 labs and a complete lab manual for recording results. Each lab lasts approximately 45 min - 1 hour and does include science/mathematical formulas and calculations.

With the addition of the 36 labs, decisions had to made as far as what to forego in order to complete the course in a year. If you feel strongly about giving the tests or quizzes, you may certainly add those back in! We have found the course to be more than enough as written in the World Geography guide!

We pray your student enjoys the IPC course as much as our sons have! We have had 3 of our boys go through it now at different times, and all have thoroughly enjoyed the course! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:46 am

Carrie wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:58 am
Carrie,

Thank you for your explanation regarding tests & quizzes, etc. I have a follow-up question. In the sample week posted for World Geography, lab is performed once that week and bookwork 3 times. Is that how all the weeks are typically scheduled?

Thank you,
Linda
3 children in college, 6 in homeschooling

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:09 pm

35 labs are performed, one each week. You can read more about it by scrolling to the Science course description in the following link…
https://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/wg-overview.pdf

Carrie describes the IPC Science course in detail here…
https://heartofdakota.com/board3/viewto ... =6&t=12932

We found Carrie’s plans for IPC in the WG guide easy-to-follow! Our sons followed the plans independently and did well with them. The Solutions manual provided guidance for the labs where variances occurred during the experiments. If our sons had gotten off somewhere in their calculations during their experiments, the lab manual got them back on track. Hope this helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:41 am

My first 3 kids (who did IPC together) are not STEM-bound, plus our provincial credit requirements are 120 hrs/course (rather than 150-180 in some places) so I made the decision to add the quizzes and tests back in (making it a VERY full science year - 1 - 1 1/2 hrs per day - which is equivalent to 90-120 min in a PS, IMO), and give my kids each 2 credits, as the publisher recommends.

For my other kids I will have to decide whether to do this again, or simply to drop the labs - IMO the full course as Carrie has planned is the work of at least 1 1/2 credits, so it isn't fair to award only 1. We'll either do the full thing for 2 or drop the labs, tests and quizzes for 1, depending on each child's likely trajectory (STEM or no, university or no, etc.) and our family circumstances (whether we have the time for 2 credits that year or not).

This was an excellent science year for us. I think the content is very well written and am sad that I won't be reading it with my other kids (as I did with my oldest 3, due to LDs for my oldest 2). The labs were challenging - my kids hadn't done a science that required such exact execution or recording of labs before, plus I think some of the equipment isn't as high quality as might have been more efficient (though I would be unwilling to pay that much, likely, lol), so there were some labs we couldn't get the math to work out for. But, it was a good learning experience for them to realize how challenging science can be, and how scientists need to be exact in their measurements, to be careful how they do their math, and to do multiple trials to get accurate results.
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics