English Language

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Shei

English Language

Post by Shei » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi! My son is 8.5 y/o (3rd grade)
English is our second language, we are finishing a phonics a book because I thought that we need more phonics work (me included), but my son do read English, he need to improve, but read aloud and recently he have read a whole serie of chapter books because he really like those books (but he prefers to read in Spanish).
We are doing spelling workout B and language lessons for today (2nd grade).
I used Rod & staff for Spanish (1rst & 2nd grade) and we hated (both of us), too long, dry and repetitive, we stop using it and stay CM style and free from guide (because I don't find any). The thing is that I have prejudge with R&S workbooks, but I have read here so many good things of it, that I'm starting to considere it, but not sure yet.
I really need good guides for English language, because I'm not very good at it.

Well I'm preparing for next "grade", I have decided to switch to HOD and considering to use Beginning wisely, or I should explore another English options? or If I should start with English 2 before 3. ???

Thaks, Shei :)

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: English Language

Post by Carrie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:58 pm

If you are considering using Bigger Hearts for His Glory, I would use English 2 as scheduled in that guide. We use Rod and Staff English at a slower pace, beginning with English 2 in grade 3 and using English 3 in grade 4. English 2 is a great place to begin with an 8 year old in Rod and Staff.

Blessings,
Carrie

Shei

Re: English Language

Post by Shei » Thu May 03, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks for answer Carrie.