Spelling/dictation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
snadig

Spelling/dictation

Post by snadig » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Hi Ladies!

Well it is that time of year for us to "test" :roll: ! My Ds finished his and I usually don't worry too much about them but his spelling is pretty low! I see him struggle a bit with it with in the guide and make him fix his errors but wondering if we should do some basic spelling list over the summer? Do you think it would help being this far in school? He has done all the guides from Beyond (spelling lists) to RevtoRev. We do dictation also. I wonder if I am over thinking this. I struggled so in school with all of it and I am a horrible speller. I just have to look it up. I just hate to see him struggle. My middle dd struggles also but our oldest can spell circles around us :roll: !

Any thoughts?
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Spelling/dictation

Post by Carrie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:30 pm

Stacey,

Unfortunately, spelling is a natural ability pretty deeply tied to visualizing words. The good news is that studied dictation is very focused upon seeing a word spelled correctly and doing the work to get the correct image of a word in and the incorrect image out. :D

I would be inclined to suggest that you move toward doing studied dictation daily with your son who is struggling with spelling. You could do it this summer as one of your only subjects. You will see improvement, but steady practice daily will make that happen. Steady practice even in high school reaps big rewards. You could do a different spelling program, but being a recipient of that in your school days you can see that spelling programs aren't all they are cracked up to be! :D

I would lean toward steady practice in dictation and helping him proofread his written work as a means of focusing on the issues. If you don't have time to proofread his written work, you could have your strong speller help proofread. Underline in pencil anything that is not spelled correctly. Then, write the correct spelling in pencil in the margin. Have the child who is working on spelling, erase the incorrect word. Then, have him copy the correctly spelled word from the margin. Last, erase the word in the margin, leaving only the correctly spelled word in its proper place in the written work. I know there may be many words in the margin at first. Over time, this strategy combined with studied dictation does help. It just takes a long time to see fruit!!

Blessings,
Carrie

snadig

Post by snadig » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 am

Thanks for the reply! I agree with everything. I think doing dictation this summer is a great idea. I will plan on doing that and math. I have been doing exactly what you were saying about underlining the incorrect word and writing the correct word. So I will keep doing that.

I think sometimes he is thinking so fast and just leaves out letters........or he is not doing any proofreading himself. LOL :lol:

thanks again!
Stacey in Co

my wonderful kids:
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:38 am

We did dictation daily with my son who had some struggles with spelling, and slowly but surely he improved! He actually rarely misspells anything these days, but he has become good at editing before we meet, so I don't see all of the corrected errors. He's in high school, so this is the result of years of dictation and editing. It works! Just wanted to encourage you with our story.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

snadig

Post by snadig » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks, Julie!

I told him that we will do dictation more often and he got those big eyes..........REALLY!? :shock: Not his favorite.

But he finally recovered. I think it will be good for him.
Stacey in Co

my wonderful kids:
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18