Combining two in Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
The2youngs

Combining two in Bigger

Post by The2youngs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:03 pm

This coming year, we'll be using Bigger for my DD8 and DS9/10 (he turns 10 in October). I'm planning to use the extensions for my DS. He's an excellent reader and absolutely loves history so I don't anticipate there being any complaints from him! He could likely handle to be in Preparing, but I'm not insane enough to attempt Bigger and Preparing simultaneously, so Bigger with extensions it is!

My question is related to logistics. My DD will definitely need me to read most of her lessons aloud to her. While she's progressed well in reading (she's nearly finished with the ERs), she's not strong enough in her comprehension yet that I would want to turn over much of the reading to her at this point. My DS, on the other hand, is very used to reading many of his school books himself (we're coming back from AO - he's used to reading high quality literature and his comprehension and narration skills are phenomenal). I'd like to continue to see him develop that independence. I can see doing the rotating box and bible study and storytime boxes together, but wonder if anyone has suggestions as to how to combine in Bigger with one who can handle more independence and one who still needs me for the majority of it.

Thanks! Looking forward to a great year with HOD!
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

StephanieU

Re: Combining two in Bigger

Post by StephanieU » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:57 pm

Science, vocabulary, and history notebooking/timeline could be independent. Of course you would want to combine for science lab, but otherwise most of the science texts would be easily done independently. You might even let him do any Journeys in Time history independently. But I think it would be best to read the red history books together.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)