Subjects Covered

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Karlyn

Subjects Covered

Post by Karlyn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Good Afternoon!
I'm wondering if any of you could help me with deciding which subjects Heart of Dakota covers. My state requires that we teach reading, writing, literature, history, geography, government, citizenship, economics, math, science, art, health, and physical education. There are no specifics as to how often the subjects need to be taught, or when. However, HSLDA recommends that each subject be taught at the appropriate grade level every year. Would HOD cover most of those subjects? Would I have to supplement the curriculum with other books? Thanks so much for helping me figure this out!! :D

StephanieU

Re: Subjects Covered

Post by StephanieU » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:25 pm

All of the guides, LHFHG and up cover:
Reading
Writing
Literature
History
Geography
Math
Science
Art

I think you could claim citizenship in all of the guides as well, as the guides work on character traits, etc.

That leaves economics, government, health, and physical education. The high school guides explicitly have the above minus physical education. They are also all covered in at least one guide in them middle school series (CtC through MtMM). And little bits of each are in the elementary guides but it isn't as easy to point out. For example, in Bigger, they learn the three branches of government in one unit. In Beyond they have a science lesson on germs and how diseases are spread.

So the main thing that HOD may be lacking is PE. But that is easy to add in on your own.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Karlyn

Post by Karlyn » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 pm

Thanks so much!! :D

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Are you in Ohio? Just curious because that looks like my list also.

Yes, HOD covers them all. I saw that Stephanie replied already. The only thing I have to add to HOD each year is fire safety and first aid. That is because Ohio requires fire safety and first aid every year and I have to turn something specific for that. So I just mention that we are covering topics of fist aid and mention that have a semi-annual fire drill and discuss fire safety topics at that time. They always accept that with no problem.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Karlyn

Post by Karlyn » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi Daneale! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond! We've been working hard at getting school finished so that we can take time off for my mother-in-law's visit. We're taking our spring break a little late this year. We're actually in Minnesota, so we don't have the fire safety or first aid requirements. I'm glad to know HOD will cover almost everything else. I think I have this upcoming year figured out. Thanks so much!! :D