Principles of Math for 6th grade then back to Sing 6 for 7th

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
daranca

Principles of Math for 6th grade then back to Sing 6 for 7th

Post by daranca » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:34 pm

My daughter has done Singapore from the beginning. She is about to complete 5th grade and Singapore 5B. She is great at understanding math and has had no problems at all with Singapore (her math facts are her weak point). But she "hates" math and it is the only subject in school she dreads. After reading all the other posts regarding this subject, I had an idea. Could/should I do POM 1 for 6th grade and then come back to finish up Singapore 6 in the 7th grade, POM 2 for 8th? I read that Julie said that Sing 6 is harder than POM 1. Since we have plenty of time, would this work, or would it be confusing? I could really use some independence in math for her this year, and she might enjoy the switch. Thoughts?

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Principles of Math for 6th grade then back to Sing 6 for

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:46 pm

daranca,

I do think that you could do this progression. :D The one thing that might be difficult would be to come back to Singapore after taking a break from it. The methods in the Singapore series build upon one another from year to year, so returning to Singapore 6 after a break away might be a challenge.

I do think a switch to POM1 would work well for your child for the coming year. Then, at the end of the year you could evaluate whether you wanted to simply move into POM2 and just forego SM6, or whether you want to return to SM6. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

daranca

Re: Principles of Math for 6th grade then back to Sing 6 for

Post by daranca » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:34 pm

Carrie, thank you so much for writing back! I truly appreciate it!