Help with placement

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mlm73

Help with placement

Post by mlm73 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:01 pm

Hello!

I am considering "Heart of Dakota" for my middle two kids for the next school year. I am unsure of which program to choose. My daughter will be a rising 3rd grader, and my son will be a rising 5th grader. I did look at the placement charts. Both of my kids are right on grade level and are currently working through "Christian Light Education," so my 2nd grader has had an introduction to cursive writing and basic multiplication. She's also had an intro to parts of speech. She has not read to many chapter books, only read alouds from her reader. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Help with placement

Post by Carrie » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Hello!

Welcome to the HOD Board. We're glad you are here! :D

I only have a moment this evening to share a couple of options with you. Based on what you've shared about your kiddos thus far, you could place your younger student in Bigger Hearts and your older student in Creation to Christ. Or, if you desired to combine your kiddos, you could do Preparing Hearts with both students instead. :D If you did Preparing Hearts, you could use the Deluxe Package with your younger student and the Extension Package with your older student. Then, both students would do the remainder of the guide together... with the exception of separate grammar and math.

How independent is your older student? Does that particular child read chapter books pretty well? Is your older child a good writer?

If you get a chance to pop back and share a bit more about your older child, we can advise you even better. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mlm73

Re: Help with placement

Post by mlm73 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:06 am

Thank you for your response. My older student is advanced in math but needs more practice with reading comprehension. He is a good reader (as far as vocabulary), but just needs to do a better job retaining the facts. My younger student is great at retaining information and picks up new skills quickly and easily. It sounds like my best option would be to combine them. I will also have an 8th grader that will most likely use Heart if Dakota as well (his own level) and a pre-k student. So combining the two closest in age is appealing!