High School Plan?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mercymom

High School Plan?

Post by mercymom » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi, I've used HOD in the past when my kids were younger. :) I'm now looking to use HOD with my girls who will be 11 and 13, 6th and 8th grade this fall. They have worked together for a long time now and they both place solidly in Resurrection to Reformation when I look at the charts. I am wondering what my plan needs to look like for my 8th grader moving forward. We are in Michigan, I have no idea if she will attend college or not, she wants to be a ballet teacher (and that is quite possible, she is in ballet many hours each week). If she skips the last two guides, how will that work? Just wondering what things I need to keep in mind... Thanks!

Edit - I've read the threads on beefing up guides... but i'm afraid to do too much of that for her especially this first year in Res to Ref. She places in the guide, so using extensions seems like a bit much for her. Maybe eventually her skills will grow enough that we'd use some extensions in future guides?
Christy

jellybeanmum

Re: High School Plan?

Post by jellybeanmum » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 pm

Have you looked at the Extension Packages for those packages for the older students? :)

mercymom

Post by mercymom » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:30 pm

jellybeanmum wrote:Have you looked at the Extension Packages for those packages for the older students? :)
Hi, I'm not sure what you mean? I have seen them... but she places in Res to Ref, so I don't want to overload her with too much by doing the extensions, at this point she doesn't really need things beefed up or harder... Can someone tell me more about the extension work and what that entails? Also hoping someone can chime in about what I'll need to do going forward to be sure she gets what she needs for high school... Thanks! :)
Christy

jellybeanmum

Post by jellybeanmum » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:24 pm

FWIW, my boy placed in Res To Ref & while his age meant that Carrie suggested using the Extensions {just extra books to read to beef it up a bit} I opted not to use them that year because I wanted my boy to adjust to the way that HOD works. It was a GREAT year for us & he loved it. He's now in Rev to Rev {still on the higher end} & we've decided to use some of the extensions this year. :)

mercymom

Post by mercymom » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:33 pm

jellybeanmum wrote:FWIW, my boy placed in Res To Ref & while his age meant that Carrie suggested using the Extensions {just extra books to read to beef it up a bit} I opted not to use them that year because I wanted my boy to adjust to the way that HOD works. It was a GREAT year for us & he loved it. He's now in Rev to Rev {still on the higher end} & we've decided to use some of the extensions this year. :)
Thanks! Do you have a plan for high school? Will he not complete all of the guides either?
Christy