Kids getting older

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Nealewill

Kids getting older

Post by Nealewill » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:59 am

I just placed my order for next year and I keep thinking.....I can't believe my kids are this old! It is funny how time flies. I am really looking forward to my oldest starting the first high school guide next year.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

momtofive

Re: Kids getting older

Post by momtofive » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:51 am

I understand that feeling.....last spring I ordered the *final* high school guide for my oldest! :shock: It's been going great this year, and he's going to graduate in May. My youngest one is using Preparing Hearts this year, which is where we began with my oldest, so many years ago. I can't believe how fast time flies. My youngest two have used all the guides from LHTH on up to where they are now. I'm so thankful we found HOD when we did. It's been a big blessing seeing these little hearts grow. Savor and enjoy every year!! :wink:
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:53 pm

That must be SO exciting for you! I can't even imagine how I will feel that year. We have been so blessed with HOD and I also started my oldest in the level Preparing. My youngest started in LHFHG and my son started in Beyond but I probably should have started him in LHFHG since he had to complete Bigger twice. And we had curriculum jumped a bit before that but once we found HOD, we never turned back. And thank you for the reminder, "Savor and enjoy every year." That can be tough to do sometimes when you busy and caught up in the day to day grind. And every time I share HOD with someone new, it always brings back fond memories from every level. I still love it now as much a I did when we first began this journey and our homeschooling curriculum route was changed forever.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:05 pm

I couldn't agree more! What is this with our kids getting older so fast?!? Somehow I have a 12th grader, ready to graduate this May. It is bittersweet - exciting, but sad in a way too. I keep thinking how I need to cherish each discussion we have together, each time we laugh, or each time he shares something I just am struck by and love that connection he made. At this point, it's really just pure enjoyment for me. All the previous years of HOD have made 12th grade one just to love together. Daneale and Lisa - I hope you are both having a wonderful homeschool year and a good start to 2018! May we cherish the time we have left being our children's teacher!!! May they move into adult life well-prepared, especially with a firm foundation in not only academics, but with a heart for the Lord and His unique purpose for their lives!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:21 pm

I am sure it is shocking to have a 12th grader. You probably walk around thinking...I am definitely not old enough to have a child this old LOL.

Year has been a huge blessing!!!!! Got my box in and it was better than Christmas LOL. Now that I am not working nearly as much, I have enjoyed this year so much more. I have so much more time to sit with the kids and actually look at what they are doing. My oldest is doing much better in math and writing already. I am embarrassed to say Last year I didn't review much of anything she did because I was so busy working. And my younger kids also didn't follow through with everything either from last year. I started this school year off by sitting with my younger two quite a bit and working on good school habits. We have worked on reading the manual and actually following through with what it says to do. We are unit 16 currently. While the first half of the school year was pretty rough (especially since they now had accountability and they weren't digging it at first), I am happy to report that they are doing much better. Since then I have had a lot more time to sit with my oldest dd. I had already trained her to read the directions and follow through so she had that down pat. But she really struggles in math and last year she did just okay. She used POM1 and that was a perfect fit for her. I do think that book did a fantastic job of explaining tough concepts and she needed that instruction. This year she started using POM 2 and I have had to help her quite a bit. Once I got through the lesson with her when she doesn't understand, she thrives and gets the concepts down. But there have been some tough lessons and I am so glad to have that time to spend with her. I also noticed that her writing has greatly suffered these last couple of years because I haven't pushed it. It has been a priority this year and I am also excited that it is coming along nicely. I never realized how much time I spent working and forewent my responsibilities of checking my kids work before. But now that I am actually available to be with them through the day when they need, I have seen a huge improvement overall. It truly has been a fantastic year.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R