Bragging on Evie (8.5) a little

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MomtoJGJE

Bragging on Evie (8.5) a little

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:58 am

Evie is my fourth child. She has always struggled with some things. She was in speech therapy until our therapist moved away. They said that she had some processing issues, but we never found out what they were due to the therapist moving and evidently them losing the notes on Evie. :roll: But thankfully, due to her being the 4th, I realized that a lot of her "issues" were possibly due to immaturity. Basically, some things would fix over time as she got more input (Charlotte Mason 'pegs'!). Anyway, due to these delays, as I taught her, I always considered her a grade behind her technical-by-birthday grade. She has always done super well in math and anything active, but reading and listening/comprehension was a big problem. But again, I didn't push it because I figured when she was able to overcome her adversities she would.

Six months ago she could barely read any words. We were slowly going through the Beginners Bible, mainly because she was familiar with the stories, and she might get one or two words per page correct. We NEVER finished a story in a day, and most times not in two or more. I wasn't doing the ER schedule, just reading because she wanted to. I also made a notebook with easy words and sight words. We would go through a page of those, basically memorizing them. Again, all at her lead.

As she got stronger at reading, I decided we would slowly start the ERs at the point after the Bible (I didn't want her to feel like she was going backwards reading through the Bible again, plus I feel like the Beginners Bible is harder than some of the other ERs). My plan was to do one book from the ERs one week and then the next week do math for a week because she's a little ahead in math, and also because I didn't want her to get too tired. She gets very tired out from concentrating too much. We began Beyond about two months ago, and just finished unit 6. We have been doing the spelling, which is getting much easier, but was very difficult at first. So I thought too much "thinking" (math, spelling, AND reading, along with copywork and the rest of the guide) would just be a little much right now.

Well yesterday she started Wagon Wheels. The ONLY word I had to help her on (other than pointing at a word here and there if she assumed something, like if she said there instead of here or something like that) in the WHOLE chapter was Nicodemus. And she ALMOST had that one. Unfortunately, somehow I missed teaching her the days of the week and months of the year, and we've been working on those... so she was trying to sound out Nicodemus and somehow was putting November and December in there :shock:

Anyway, I'm just super proud of how far she's come!

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Bragging on Evie (8.5) a little

Post by Carrie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Lora Beth,

This is so exciting! I am so happy for you and for your daughter! Truly, it is wonderful when progress like this happens. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:38 pm

That is so wonderful to hear! I love reading stories like this one.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Wow, Lora Beth! That is worth celebrating! Tell Evie we're proud of her too - perseverance and patience go a long way. I hope you continue to have a good year with HOD, and also that you have a Merry Christmas!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jellybeanmum

Post by jellybeanmum » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Aww, well done! :)

I know that feeling well with 2 struggling readers {they had undiagnosed visual processing disorder} & the joy that comes with that "moment" when it all falls into place. Hooray for BOTH of you! :)