Science question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
PoppyD

Science question

Post by PoppyD » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi ladies,
I have a science question for you. I am not using HOD this year. We decided to use curriculum that would allow us to learn together as a family one last time. We've been using HOD the past few years though. (Preparing, CTC, and RtR)
Here's the problem..........I'm thinking ahead because my daughter is in a local tutorial that meets one day a week for certain classes. I chose this tutorial mainly for science and foreign language, but we're questioning whether we will continue. If I'm going to bring science back home, I feel like in my state, physical science is what you do in 8th grade. (which she'll be in next year) I also feel like it's an area of science she could use. We'll be doing MtMM. I know physical science is in the guide before that. So here's my question finally - do I just buy MtMM minus the science, then also buy the Revival to Revolution guide and just the science components for it and have her use both guides but just the science portion for RtR?
I hope that makes sense. :)
Thanks!
-Poppy
2016/2017 Preparing - 3rd grade daughter

StephanieU

Re: Science question

Post by StephanieU » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:52 pm

So you plan on using the high school guides as written (including science). IPC in the WG guide can be considered physical science. So you don't necessarily need to take it in middle School. And I think the evolution study in MtMM is one u wouldn't want to miss...
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure. Science is the one area I'm confused about and not sure what to do. My daughter lives and breathes animal science and nature study. She tolerates other science. She'll likely desire a fairly competitive college. So I don't want to short change her in that area. That's my hesitation with pulling out of a tutorial class for science. I was considering just pulling out for next year and then fulfilling the 3 lab science classes for high school via the tutorial. But if I do that, I may need to get the physical science done.
Ahhh!!!! I don't know!!!!

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 pm

What state are you in? Some require IPC/physical science. So it would mostly be state universities that might look down on it.
If my kids are interested in a career in science/engineering, they will probably take algebra based physics and chemistry at the local community college their junior or senior year of high school (possibly instead of the science in the two US history guides).
Mom to

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Tennessee

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:51 pm

Exploration Education is one of the most exciting ways to fulfill a Physical Science credit for high school! By ordering Revival to Revolution's Science Package Option #2 and the Revival to Revolution Teacher's Guide, you'll have all you need to have a fascinating study of physical science that is high school credit worthy. We loved this year of science! The EE course was excellent, and the Inventor Study alongside it made our kids feel like 'inventors' as they did their experiments. If you need a high school level Physical Science credit, this is an excellent way to earn it!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:17 pm

Julie,

Would you recommend EE over IPC? I looked up Tennessee's requirements, and it looks like there years of science, including two from biology, physics, or chemistry. I think the norm is probably physical science in 8th, biology in 9th, chemistry in 10th, physics in 11th, and then optional science in 12th. But I am not sure.
But either way, it looks like physical science/IPC could count as one of those three years. And if the continued with HOD, they would have for years anyways. So would you recommend doing the science in MtMM as written for 8th or replace it with the skipped EE from Rev 2Rev?
Mom to

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:04 am

I don't think you even necessarily need the Rev to Rev guide to do the science. The kit is complete and you could just do one lesson each day (quizzes and such as they come). My daughter is loving it because it's so hands on! Hopefully yours will too.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 pm

The physical science would be for 8th grade. I don't mind skipping it, but wonder if it would be advantageous if we end up with physics in high school.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:04 pm

I looked up your graduation requirements and here is what came up:

Science: 3 credits, including Biology, Chemistry or Physics, and a third lab course

So you can definitely still use the WG science as is and then do biology and chemistry. I do think that EE and MtMM science both help kids get prepped for the high school sciences but if you miss one, that is okay. EE intermediate level was really short. If you wanted to do it, you could always add it now or do it over the summer and just skip the inventor's study for times sake. If you don't want to do it, then I would skip it. MtMM has be so awesome that I would just do the science for MtMM and not put in the science for EE. Since your state only requires 3 sciences, you can still do the Chemistry and Physics course for 9th grade. My reviewer who looks over my kids year and signs off the we did enough actually said I could count it for Physics and for Chemistry :shock: . I do think this course would help your child if they wanted to do Physics. And as for what kids take, I am not sure when things changed or they are this way but it seems like in the homeschool community they want kids to do Biology for 9th grade instead of 10th only because of the Apologia line up. I went to a very challenging high school that is one of the top 100 in the nation and we took Biology for 10th grade, Chemistry for 11th grade and then I took Physics for 12th grade. For my kids, they will just follow the line up HOD has because I like it and think that it is a good progression. This is just my humble opinion though. I say all this to say that I would do MtMM science and then move into the WG science. It will probably go a bit deeper and then line up nicely with guide if you are already using it.

Good luck with your decision.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:01 pm

Good questions with great dialogue! To clarify, the sequence Carrie has written for the science is the preferred sequence. :D So, between the 2 choices being discussed here, for 8th grade, doing physical science with Exploration Education would first be recommended. For 9th grade, doing IPC would be recommended. However, for whatever reasons (personal preferences, international/national standards, future plans, previous credits earned, etc.), families sometimes want a strictly Physical Science course for high school. If the desire/need is to complete a strictly Physical Science course for 9th grade, Revival to Revolution's Advanced EE option fits the need nicely. :D In speaking with Carrie about calling the IPC course a Physical Science credit on a transcript, we discussed that the proper title for the WG IPC course really is Integrated Physics and Chemistry, which is a commonly used title for science courses in high school. It is a more difficult course than a physical science because of the chemistry component that is added, and it is the preferred title for the science credit earned in WG.

As far as whether the Revival to Revolution Teacher's Guide is needed for the plans, we are assuming students completing the science in Revival to Revolution are also using the Inventor Study, as it adds more depth to the credit and maintains the Charlotte Mason aspect of learning within the subject of science - which HOD users tend to want to do. :D Carrie's Inventor Study plans include the pages to be read each day from the Inventor Study resources, the ebb and flow intended between The Story of Inventions and the biographies of inventors, directions for how to complete the notebooking entries in the Inventor Student Notebook, assigned questions from The Story of Inventions to be included in narrations, and pacing that is balanced alongside completing the EE Study. For these reasons, it is important to use the teacher's guide. I hope this helps as you determine what you would like to do for science this upcoming year! If it is for 8th grade, and it sounds like it is from the last post, EE with the Inventor Study alongside the RevtoRev plans would be the the preferred option, and I think you'd thoroughly enjoy it! Have a good weekend, ladies!

In Christ,
Julie
Last edited by my3sons on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Nealewill wrote: And as for what kids take, I am not sure when things changed or they are this way but it seems like in the homeschool community they want kids to do Biology for 9th grade instead of 10th only because of the Apologia line up. I went to a very challenging high school that is one of the top 100 in the nation and we took Biology for 10th grade, Chemistry for 11th grade and then I took Physics for 12th grade. For my kids, they will just follow the line up HOD has because I like it and think that it is a good progression. This is just my humble opinion though. I say all this to say that I would do MtMM science and then move into the WG science. It will probably go a bit deeper and then line up nicely with guide if you are already using it.

I think it is mostly an issue if what is common in your state. Texas does biology in 9th, and then physical science or chemistry in 10th. Those that take physical science in 10th take chemistry in 11th. The remaining years are advanced classes to complete requirements. I know Texas is not the only state like this that doesn't include physical science in the honors track for high school. It is just my "home" state, so I am most familiar with it. So for those from States that include physical science in high school for everyone, it is weird for curriculum/families to not include it. For those in States that don't include, it can be odd to include it!
Mom to

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:50 pm

StephanieU wrote:So for those from States that include physical science in high school for everyone, it is weird for curriculum/families to not include it. For those in States that don't include, it can be odd to include it!
Yes - you are correct :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:00 pm

Nealewill wrote:I looked up your graduation requirements and here is what came up:

Science: 3 credits, including Biology, Chemistry or Physics, and a third lab course

So you can definitely still use the WG science as is and then do biology and chemistry. I do think that EE and MtMM science both help kids get prepped for the high school sciences but if you miss one, that is okay. EE intermediate level was really short. If you wanted to do it, you could always add it now or do it over the summer and just skip the inventor's study for times sake. If you don't want to do it, then I would skip it. MtMM has be so awesome that I would just do the science for MtMM and not put in the science for EE. Since your state only requires 3 sciences, you can still do the Chemistry and Physics course for 9th grade. My reviewer who looks over my kids year and signs off the we did enough actually said I could count it for Physics and for Chemistry :shock: . I do think this course would help your child if they wanted to do Physics. And as for what kids take, I am not sure when things changed or they are this way but it seems like in the homeschool community they want kids to do Biology for 9th grade instead of 10th only because of the Apologia line up. I went to a very challenging high school that is one of the top 100 in the nation and we took Biology for 10th grade, Chemistry for 11th grade and then I took Physics for 12th grade. For my kids, they will just follow the line up HOD has because I like it and think that it is a good progression. This is just my humble opinion though. I say all this to say that I would do MtMM science and then move into the WG science. It will probably go a bit deeper and then line up nicely with guide if you are already using it.

Question about this - you said the intermediate level of EE is short. How short are we talking?

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Just for fun, and no help whatsoever with the original question, when I was in high school I took biology, advanced biology, chemistry, and AP biology :shock: :P