Record Keeping

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
misty316

Record Keeping

Post by misty316 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:49 am

Does anyone keep records other than checking off each box in the guide and keeping the completed work in a notebook. I just got A Record of the Learning Lifestyle. I have been just checking off the boxes, in BLHFHG, but I wanted a way to keep track of other activties that I consider learning to. I don't know I was just wondering if any of you keep records like this. How do you do this?
ETA: I also want to keep records for memorys. I would never want to just had over my guide with the boxes checked off. I don't know if that would be enough record keeping anyway.
Last edited by misty316 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

jensmom

Re: Record Keeping

Post by jensmom » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:37 am

I have a notebook where I write each item that we do and how many minutes we spend on it. I can also write my add-ins here and since I write them in the order we do them, it also allows me to keep a record of that as well. We are supposed to report our attendance to the state on a monthly basis. The requirement here is 4 1/2 hrs each day so I want to know how long we are actually spending. I feel confident that we will far exceed the 4 1/2 hrs for 180 day requirement. :lol: I also record the other activities that "count" toward the state requirement - gymnastics, running, ballet, music lessons, etc. That way I have a record of just how many hours we spent compared to the state requirements.

BTW, the notebook is a binder where I also have the Bible verses and other items needed for our lessons conveniently at my fingertips. I have a tab for notes where I can jot things down as we go so I can remember later, i.e. work on b/d confusion, buy more crayons, etc.

HTH,
Judy
2nd year HODie/homeschooler - Using Bigger for 2nd grade
dd - 7 - June '02
Metro Atlanta

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:01 pm

I'm going to use a plain composition book to write a daily entry. I've tried using the record planners made for teachers, but with HOD, I don't need that sort of detail. I'm thinking that my daily entry will simply list which unit/day of each HOD program that we did, plus any notes about struggles, behavior/character issues, etc.

I am still uncertain if I'll write in my teacher's guides. I plan on using the guides several times, as I have five children.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

misty316

Post by misty316 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:15 pm

This record book I got seems like it will work out fine. I do see the point of checking the boxes. Thats what I have been doing. I want to record other learning activities and haveing this record book with all areas listed helps me get it done. Rather than just writing in my guide. Also I want to use the HOD guide with my other child to. My problem is that Carrie did make it so simple for us to use check off boxes. I don't want to have to write down every single thing we did. For example, if in the history block all we did was read a verse and dicuss it and how it related to the history we read the day before. I don't want to have to write down all of that. I would be basically be writing down what Carrie already has typed in the guide book anyway. I guess I could write down just the unit, day and date and write History. In my record book.

gingel

Post by gingel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi Misty:

My state requires a plan book...we don't have to turn it in - just have it available if we are ever questioned. Let me share from my vast experience of 2 weeks with HOD :D . The first week I wrote all of Carrie's plans into my planbook. It was nice to have all of my plans for the day in one place, but it seemed to take forever and took the joy out of planning. (I try to look a week ahead just to know what's coming and to gather any needed supplies, etc.) So, I decided to write the DITHR and math plans (since we are on a different day than the one in Beyond) in my plan book and a note on each day that says something like, "Unit 2, day 2 BLHFHG." I figure I'll have to keep my teacher's manual until high school graduation by doing it this way (in case I'm ever questioned,) but I also figure it is a better use of my time not to rewrite everything. There are so many blank boxes in my planbook that I have space to write "bike ride, 30 min," or whatever may have been extra that day that can still count towards my dd's school hours.

HTH -
~Gingel

First time user of DITHOR and BLHFHG with 7yo DD
LHFH with 4yo DS

netpea

Post by netpea » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:02 pm

I use the HOD manuals. I date the page and put either a checkmark by the date if its for my son, or a star by the date if it's my daughter. I check or star each box as we finish it. we work ahead in math so I date each math box separately. I will use each manual twice, so the first time through for my son, it has just the checks then the second time around, it will get the stars for my daughter.

:D

Vicki

Post by Vicki » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:36 pm

Something else you could do is print off the chapter outline from the introduction of the book. You could then date and write in any extras (field trips, book, notes about the week, etc.). I plan on probably doing something simple like that so it will be an easy record to keep up with.
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!