Homeschool Names

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
amylou

Homeschool Names

Post by amylou » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Does anyone have a name for their homeschool? I like the idea but anything I think of sounds cheesy.

raindrops

Re: Homeschool Names

Post by raindrops » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:42 am

Yes, in NC we name our schools and register with the department of non public education. It took me a very long time to come up with a name, but then I thought of River Stone and it was perfect. My son's favorite Bible story was David and Goliath and I thought of the stones David had. Maybe you can use a favorite verse as inspiration too. People also use the name of their street, their last name, a nearby landmark, a character quality, there are lots of possibilities! :D
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

amylou

Post by amylou » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:51 am

Thanks, raindrops! Your school's name is so clever!

jellybeanmum

Post by jellybeanmum » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Yes, my kids got tired of explaining that we home educate after being asked what school they go to. So, we named it. We opted to call ourselves Solid Rock Christian College which is a play on words.

1. Solid Rock is in reference to God, but there's also a pretty big "rock" here that is well known in our country. Thus the double play.

2. We use the term "college" because we live in Australia at this time. If we were in the USA it'd be Academy. :)

faroutback

Post by faroutback » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 am

I had the same problem. It seemed everyone had such wonderful names and everything I thought of seemed empty. We came up with Victory Train Academia but this was after 8 years of homeschooling.. Victory in reference to our Christian beliefs and what we are learning. Train came from our youngest's enjoyment of train which got me started thinking that is what we are doing, training, training to victory is our goal. We added the Academia to give it the school sound and we were looking at Latin at the time.

Take heart you will find the name for your school based on your journey and what fits your family.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:43 am

So, we call our school the Green House School.

It is kind of a funny story though. We live in a green house. And one day after church, my kids were asking to go out to eat. My hubby said we can eat at the Green House Restaurant. They looked at him kinda funny and he said, "Just wait, you'll recognize it." He drove home and they figured out the "Green House" was home. We also have the Green House Cleaning Company (chores), the Green House Construction Company (more chores), the Green House Reading Club, the Green House Game night, etc. I am sure you get the point :-). So....this is where the Green House School name came from.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:56 am

Took me a while too... We are Cornerstone Academy. First, Jesus is the Chief Cornerstone. But also, because the cornerstone is what the entire building is built from. When we started homeschooling, we didn't know how long it would be. I didn't feel called to homeschool. It was for two reasons: 1)I didn't have to get up and get everyone up and get everyone ready to get Jayden to school (we had 4 at the time with her as our oldest), and 2)she couldn't be still... her 4K teacher let her get up and go around to help the other kids in the class when she was done with her work, or would give her little odd jobs to do to let her move.... I knew that wasn't going to cut it once she got to 1st grade, and might not even in K. So I thought "I can't mess up Kindergarten". So we were just taking it year by year.... I wanted what they learned here to be a good solid basis for learning throughout their life. I wanted them to learn how to learn and build everything from there.

strohlbug

Post by strohlbug » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 am

We went with Cornerstone Christian Academy since my husband's business is Cornerstone Remodeling. When we started the business we chose Cornerstone because of the biblical meaning of Christ being the Cornerstone. We don't have to register in our state, so we don't really "use" our name, but I will have my first graduate this year and it will go on her diploma.

Cheryl

Lynn3ggb

Post by Lynn3ggb » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:57 pm

I didn't really think about naming our homeschool until it was time to order my dd diploma. I had no idea how long it would take to find a name that fit and sounded right or we would have definitely started sooner.

We ended up going with Providence Harbor Christian Academy. Providence because I believe God led me to bring my kids home from public school, and harbor because home is a safe place to learn, and of course Christian because we are Christians. I know it's kinda long, but it fit our reasons for homeschooling and it looks really nice on the diploma.

I have given each of my children the option to use this name on their diploma or create one of their own. My middle daughter may use Riverside Christian Academy since we live next to the Satilla River.

*I used an online diploma template to type the various names we were considering to see how it would look in the diploma design & font we had chosen to make sure we would like the final result.

Happy Choosing!
Letha