Pride and prejudice

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
strohlbug

Pride and prejudice

Post by strohlbug » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:45 am

I was searching this topic, but didn't really find the answer to my question. My daughter will be doing US History II this year as a senior. She did WG as a freshman whe Pride and Prejudice was a part of the literature study for that year. Now it has been moved to US History II. My question is when she gets to that in the TM this year is there something to replace it with since she has already done it, or do we just skip?

momtofive

Re: Pride and prejudice

Post by momtofive » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Here's a link to a recent discussion on this topic.....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17462

Blessings! ;)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

strohlbug

Post by strohlbug » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:47 pm

I read the link, but still feel like it doesn't answer what you do in US II if your child has already ready Pride and Prejudice in WG. Do we substitite with the book that is now in WG in place of Pride and Prejudice? And if so is there a place we can get the reflect questions for the sustitute?

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Hello,

When I first posted the book selections for the literature portion of the US2 guide, I answered these same questions. So, I will repost my thoughts below for you to ponder. :)

My thoughts would be that classics such as Pride and Prejudice and A Christmas Carol bear re-reading. My own boys listen to a fully dramatized audio of A Christmas Carol every Christmas as they set up the Christmas tree. They never tire of it and look forward to hearing the story each Christmas no matter what their age! :D As far as Pride and Prejudice goes, there are entire book clubs devoted to being a fan of Jane Austen and a chronic reader of her works! Many in the clubs can recite her work verbatim from so many re-reads. :D

In looking at these books from a Heart of Dakota perspective, we originally scheduled A Christmas Carol in a DITHR book set that the students would have read 5 years ago, and we originally scheduled Pride and Prejudice as a girl option for the ladies to read three years ago. So, with years like that in between the readings, I would think there would be much to gain by a reread of such well-known classics as these. :D Additionally, reading the books along with the daily plans that we will have in U.S. History II will draw things out of the reading that the students may have missed even if they have read them before. :D Not to mention watching the corresponding DVD segments from the BBC Pride and Prejudice DVDs along with each day's reading (as scheduled in US2) adds a whole other facet to the reading! :D It truly brings the words off the page!

Of course, should you desire to replace the books with your own selections, you could easily do so. We definitely weighed the options when making book selections for British Literature and felt the balance of the selections that we ended up with was best for students overall. Books like A Christmas Carol and Pride and Prejudice are just too important as classic works to be missed. :D

I will add one more thought to this original post too. My oldest son is now 21 and taking college classes. He chose to take a Jane Austen class simply so he can reread Austen's books, all of which he read during his high school years. He read Pride and Prejudice as a freshman and then chose to read Austen's 5 other books as a senior. Yet, here he is just 3 year later desiring to read all 6 of her books again. He is a testament to the fact that Austen truly bears re-reading even though only a few years have passed since he last read them! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

strohlbug

Post by strohlbug » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 am

Carrie, Thank you so much for reposting these thought. Pretty much what I was thinking, although I have a reluctant struggling learner who really had difficulty with it freshman year. I am hoping doing it again will bring her more understanding. Thank you again for your insight and all your hard work.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:02 pm

I agree that reading Pride and Prejudice as a freshman is challenging! This is one of the reasons that we chose to move it to the senior year as well! If you do decide to go the Pride and Prejudice route, be sure to choose the DVD package option when you order, as watching the DVDs helps so much. (Note: You can substitute a different book in place of Pride and Prejudice in the package since you already own it and still get the package discount.)

The way Pride and Prejudice is scheduled in US2 is meant to aid the reader in enjoying the book. The questions and reflections in the guide really help, plus the students watch the exact same portion of the DVD segment that matches what they read (on the day they read it). It was a bit of a challenge for me to figure out how to schedule it this way, but the book and DVD really pair beautifully in this manner!! :D

Otherwise, if preferred your daughter could give Persuasion or Anne of Avonlea a try instead. Both of those are in World Geography now. Anne of Avonlea is definitely easier. If you went that route, you would just sub your choice in place of Pride and Prejudice and your daughter would just read and annotate her way through the book and keep Common Place Book entries, as there are not reflection questions for those books since World Geography schedules BJU for its questions and critical thinking instead (and Persuasion and Anne of Avonlea are meant to be more Charlotte-Mason style breaks from the questioning in BJU.)

Blessings,
Carrie