Won't be finished with MtMM in time for High School.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooln2qts

Won't be finished with MtMM in time for High School.

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi everyone,

I called the HoD office and left a phone message, but thought while I was waiting to hear back, I would also post here to possibly get any thoughts here too. My soon to be 9th grade dd has been doing HoD since Beyond and has been working on MtMM for 8th grade this past school year. We had a busy 2016-17 year, full of transitions and changes, a few examples being that we took a lot of time off here and there to work on our house and get it ready to sell, finally sold the house and lived with my grandmother for a little over a month, and finally moved into our new house about 2 weeks ago. She also is involved in a really intense robotics club that meets from Sept-Nov. So, she still hasn't completed MtMM and I'm not sure what to do for high school now. The last unit she completed in MtMM was Unit 25 and we ended up cutting some assignments from a few of the units prior to that as well. I'm concerned that she won't be ready for the work-load in WG and I'd be really sad for her to miss the remaining units in MtMM. She never even started the Evolution materials that I was so looking forward to her doing. But how would we continue doing this and not put her in a crunch for earning high school credits? I would also like for her to be able to take off during the robotics season and just school through the summer to make up. Just throwing that out there for f.y.i. Sorry if my writing seems a bit random. I'm trying to work out all the thoughts swirling in my head here. lol. Thanks so much in advance for any guidance.
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

StephanieU

Re: Won't be finished with MtMM in time for High School.

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:05 pm

I would look at your state requirements. Maybe you could award half a credit of US history for what your have left in my, adding in the necessary extensions (or maybe all of them?). Then do economics the second half of the year. Science you are probably okay since she has the robotics she could use (using the three high school guides for science credits). Then see what other credits you need. Fill those in the second half of the year when you have completed the rest of MtMM.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks for responding, StephanieU! I spoke with Julie over the phone for a long time yesterday and decided to go ahead and move her forward to WG. Blessings!
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

jellybeanmum

Post by jellybeanmum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Well.. here's my limited experience.

When I started looking at HOD for my youngest I knew he'd be using Res to Ref & that he'd be in 7th. I did have concerns so I emailed HOD & got a lovely, very detailed, response back. MTMM can be used for 9th is the short version, there are extensions & if you look at them {online or in catalog} you will find that they are the same books from US2. Unfortunately, you miss out on the grading/credits portion that the high school guides have, but could use US 2 as a guideline. I'm contemplating buying the US2 guide for a few reasons & this is one.

The response from HOD was enough to make me feel confident in my choice & I'm grateful for that because for the first time in years my boy is always curious about what he'll be learning this week instead of groaning that it's another school day. :D