Combining a Kinder with a 2nd grader. Is it possible?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Post Reply
hfwalker
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 am

Combining a Kinder with a 2nd grader. Is it possible?

Post by hfwalker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:59 pm

I have four children. 11, 7 (8 in a few weeks), 6, and 18 months. My almost 8 year old, is finishing Beyond this week and my 6 year old finished Little Hands last month. I'm wondering if it's possible to combine them in the fall. My 6 year old has always been involved some what since he was a wee one and often will answer questions geared to his siblings while he is in the next room playing, or want to jump in on a science experiment or read aloud. I'm also getting a little stressed with the increase of time spent teaching them along with the time I need with my oldest who is using CTC. I don't want to be schooling (book learning) all day long with needing to take care for the home, etc. too. Does anyone have advice on this or maybe some other thoughts that haven't come to my mind?

Mbrand
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: Combining a Kinder with a 2nd grader. Is it possible?

Post by Mbrand » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Which guide are you hoping to combine them in?

my3sons
Posts: 10589
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Combining a Kinder with a 2nd grader. Is it possible?

Post by my3sons » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:09 am

Hi there! I'd love to help sort this out with you, but I have a few questions first. Can you share a bit about your almost 8 yo and your 6 yo as far as placement in reading, writing, grammar, and math (I'll link the placement chart below for your reference)? Also, how did your almost 8 yo do in Beyond Little Hearts...? Was he/she well placed and able to do all that was assigned in Beyond...? And now a few questions about your 11 yo. That child should be quite independent in CTC - how is that going - or have you not started that guide yet? I wasn't sure. Does your 11 yo place squarely in CTC, and is he/she able to do the "I" independent boxes independently in CTC successfully? Or has CTC not been started yet? Thanks!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USII, MTMM
Wife to Rich for 25 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 20, 17, and 13
Author of Women's Devotional https://www.ebay.com/itm/293355757184
Blogger https://my3sons-julie.blogspot.com/
Sister to Carrie

hfwalker
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 am

Re: Combining a Kinder with a 2nd grader. Is it possible?

Post by hfwalker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:55 am

my3sons wrote:Hi there! I'd love to help sort this out with you, but I have a few questions first. Can you share a bit about your almost 8 yo and your 6 yo as far as placement in reading, writing, grammar, and math (I'll link the placement chart below for your reference)? Also, how did your almost 8 yo do in Beyond Little Hearts...? Was he/she well placed and able to do all that was assigned in Beyond...? And now a few questions about your 11 yo. That child should be quite independent in CTC - how is that going - or have you not started that guide yet? I wasn't sure. Does your 11 yo place squarely in CTC, and is he/she able to do the "I" independent boxes independently in CTC successfully? Or has CTC not been started yet? Thanks!!!

In Christ,
Julie

Marcus, my 6-year-old just finished Little Hands. He can write his name and is eager to write even though we obviously haven't begun formal handwriting. No reading yet. After reviewing the placement chart, he definitely fits in the Little Hearts category.

Isaac, my almost 8-year-old finished Beyond this week.

Math: He flew through the math and we're now in the second-grade books.

Reading: He was able to read all of the emerging readers books. He tired out with some due to the page length, but pressed through.

Handwriting: The first 13 units or so I had him go through the 1st-grade handwriting book that was listed in Little Hearts. Then I transitioned him into copying the poems as directed in the guide. He has completed them successfully but not without some tears. Not daily, but he does get stressed out easily. I even waited until closer to the end of the guide to have him write on the timeline. But the last two entries he copied the text and drew the picture without an issue. His penmanship isn't exceptionally neat, but mostly legible.

Grammar: He did well with spelling and copying the words. Sometimes if he had been stressed out with something else we'd do the words verbally. Any other activities he did complete.

Having been through Bigger with my daughter, I'm aware of the big jump in handwriting. That's probably the only hesitation I have with my son.

Audrey, my 11-year-old is currently on Unit 9 in CTC. It's going well. She is completing all of the independent boxes mostly on her own now. I've seen growth in taking more initiation. The Bible memory has been a challenge, so we're taking it slower.

hfwalker
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 am

Re: Combining a Kinder with a 2nd grader. Is it possible?

Post by hfwalker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:56 am

Mbrand wrote:Which guide are you hoping to combine them in?

I was curious about placing them both in Bigger, mostly for the history, science, geography, and read alouds.

StephanieU
Posts: 1549
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Combining a Kinder with a 2nd grader. Is it possible?

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:07 am

I would not put a 6yo in Bigger. It might work for a year, with that child basically tagging along in things of interest while focusing on the basics, but it isn't a long term solution. If you want to combine, you have to place the lower and beef up for the older. That would mean doing LHFHG with both. But an 8yo probably would not be well served in that after successfully completing Beyond...
Mom to 4
DD (12) MtMM (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and Rev2Rev)
DS (10) CtC (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, and Preparing plus some of LHTH)
DD (8) Preparing (completed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DS (4) LHTH

hfwalker
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 am

Re: Combining a Kinder with a 2nd grader. Is it possible?

Post by hfwalker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:27 am

StephanieU wrote:I would not put a 6yo in Bigger. It might work for a year, with that child basically tagging along in things of interest while focusing on the basics, but it isn't a long term solution. If you want to combine, you have to place the lower and beef up for the older. That would mean doing LHFHG with both. But an 8yo probably would not be well served in that after successfully completing Beyond...

Exactly. I'd be like putting my 8 year old back in pre-k. I don't want to do that to him. That's why I'm considering going half pace with him as a mom on Facebook suggested.

LovingJesus
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:29 am

Re: Combining a Kinder with a 2nd grader. Is it possible?

Post by LovingJesus » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:34 pm

hfwalker wrote:
StephanieU wrote:I would not put a 6yo in Bigger. It might work for a year, with that child basically tagging along in things of interest while focusing on the basics, but it isn't a long term solution. If you want to combine, you have to place the lower and beef up for the older. That would mean doing LHFHG with both. But an 8yo probably would not be well served in that after successfully completing Beyond...

Exactly. I'd be like putting my 8 year old back in pre-k. I don't want to do that to him. That's why I'm considering going half pace with him as a mom on Facebook suggested.
Are you considering 1/2 pace Bigger with the almost 8 year old that just finished Beyond? I think that would be a great idea.

I agree with Stephanie regarding the six year old. I wouldn't put a six year old in Bigger that just completed LHTH, and who places well in LHFHG.

If it helps any I have combined my middle two in almost everything the past two years. It has not served either of them well academically, but it was good for their relationship and easier on me. I am putting them in their own HOD guides this year to build academic skills that they each need at their own levels.

hfwalker
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:55 am

Re: Combining a Kinder with a 2nd grader. Is it possible?

Post by hfwalker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:29 am

LovingJesus wrote:
hfwalker wrote:
StephanieU wrote:I would not put a 6yo in Bigger. It might work for a year, with that child basically tagging along in things of interest while focusing on the basics, but it isn't a long term solution. If you want to combine, you have to place the lower and beef up for the older. That would mean doing LHFHG with both. But an 8yo probably would not be well served in that after successfully completing Beyond...

Exactly. I'd be like putting my 8 year old back in pre-k. I don't want to do that to him. That's why I'm considering going half pace with him as a mom on Facebook suggested.
Are you considering 1/2 pace Bigger with the almost 8 year old that just finished Beyond? I think that would be a great idea.

I agree with Stephanie regarding the six year old. I wouldn't put a six year old in Bigger that just completed LHTH, and who places well in LHFHG.

If it helps any I have combined my middle two in almost everything the past two years. It has not served either of them well academically, but it was good for their relationship and easier on me. I am putting them in their own HOD guides this year to build academic skills that they each need at their own levels.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. :) Thanks for the input.

Rice
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:00 am

Re: Combining a Kinder with a 2nd grader. Is it possible?

Post by Rice » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm kind of looking at this situation for a few years down the road (adding #6 and #7 to our school day and wanting to avoid attempting 7 guides at once!) but I think the only way to combine is to "hold the older one back" right from the beginning, having them basically do only reading, writing and math (not using an HOD guide) until the younger one is ready for LHFHG (so, for us, ages 5 [almost 6] and 7 1/2, probably) to start them both together in that guide. Once the older does a guide or two, there's no way to hold them back sufficiently to make it practical to have the younger one join in. :(

Blessings,
Rice

DS 18 (GRAD: after WG, 2020)
DD 16 WH w/different lit (DONE:Bigger-WG [-CTC]; Irlen S.)
DS 14 non-HOD @ US1 level (DONE: CTC-WH)
DS 12 RTR (DONE: LHFHG+Prep-CTC)
DS 10 CTC (DONE: Prep)
DS 8 +
DD 6 Storytime + 3Rs
3yo DS

Post Reply