Foerster's Algebra 1 versus VideoText Algebra

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LovingJesus

Foerster's Algebra 1 versus VideoText Algebra

Post by LovingJesus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:52 pm

I was wondering what you think of Foerster's Algebra?

It seems like Carrie is recommending Foerster more than VideoText; is this correct?

What has been your experience with either of these Algebra programs?

Thank you!

StephanieU

Re: Foerster's Algebra 1 versus VideoText Algebra

Post by StephanieU » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:19 pm

We haven't used them yet, but I have looked at them a lot. Foerster's has more problem solving, and hence is more like Singapore in many ways. VideoText is very traditional in its teaching, although combining PreAlgebra, Algebra 1, and Algebra 2 obviously is not traditional. If your child is coming from Singapore or excels at math, I would recommend Foerster's. It is more "honors level" Algebra 1. I would say VideoText is more the "normal" level algebra and good for those that prefer traditional, straightforward math.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:41 pm

I taught high school math for years, before I had my children, and Foerster's is more rigorous than any of the textbooks we used. It definitely is an "honors" level course. At the same time, Foerster does an excellent job of presenting the material, is very clear with his explanations, and provides ample examples and practice. We used Foerster's this year and it really grew on me. I am looking forward to using his other books when we finish Geometry! :)

(I haven't used Videotext, so I can't comment on that.)

P.S. We used Rod and Staff Math through their 8th grade book and were able to seamlessly transition into Foerster.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Thank you Ladies! Your comparisons were very helpful. He is strong in math and it helped to hear the differences. I saw a recommendation for Video Text early on and thought we might go that direction. After reading your descriptions I think it wouldn't be a good fit.

Thank you! :D