Video text algebra

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sinceLHFHG

Video text algebra

Post by sinceLHFHG » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:55 pm

My oldest just finished WG and did Foersters Algebra. It didn't really click as she couldn't retain the information, along with medical issues on top of that. Could anyone share their experience with Video Text Algebra? I'd really like her to nail Algebra before she gets into chemistry.

Thanks.

StephanieU

Re: Video text algebra

Post by StephanieU » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:18 pm

The hard thing with Videotext is that it covers PreAlgebra, Agents 1, and Algebra 2. You maybe able to fly through it in two years, it out could take three years to compete. You may be better served doing a traditional program like Horizons, Abeka, BJU, or Saxon. Or maybe a computer based program like Thinkwell, CtCMath, Teaching Textbooks, or even Khan Academy might be a better fit if you want to get her caught up quickly.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 am

The pp is right in that VT contains PreAlgebra, Alg 1, and Alg 2 in one module. If you didn't start with it, it's hard to transition to. You may want to check out mathhelp.com, which is something HOD recommends but does not carry. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

sinceLHFHG

Post by sinceLHFHG » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Thanks for your input. I'll take a look at some of the recommendations you kind ladies listed. Thanks for your help!