need advice for my situation-- how to finish out a guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
SarahBrant

need advice for my situation-- how to finish out a guide

Post by SarahBrant » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi friends,

I am very interested in hearing your advice concerning my situation. :) I have a 9 yo 3rd grader in Bigger and a just turned 6 yo in Little Hands + Little Hearts FMS & handwriting + The Reading Lesson. We've had quite the busy school year with weaning, post partum anxiety issues, and the biggest thing that has gotten us behind this year has been my 9 yo's aspergers diagnosis. We already have speech therapy 2x per week and this year we've added physical and we occupational therapy. My just turned 3yo also has a developmental delay and has been receiving speech services. ALL that said... We are only on unit 22. :) I had planned to school through summer to catch up but my kids are seeing their friends going to YMCA summer clubs, swimming at the pool, going to the water park, etc. and they are wishing for summer. I'm wondering what your thoughts would be on my situation. I thought about only taking 4 weeks off for summer and continuing the 4 weeks we have left in the fall. I've thought about going half days through summer. I've thought about somehow reducing the workload while still continuing to move forward... i.e. Doing grammar orally, keeping up with the history and science readings and math and cursive without doing all the activities associated with them... would really love to hear what you would do in this situation. My 9yo receives services through the school and I really don't want him to fall "behind" academically... I think I'm more sensitive to keeping him in line with his peers because of the aspergers and because of all the services and input we get from professionals... Thanks :)

sarah_smile81

Re: need advice for my situation-- how to finish out a guide

Post by sarah_smile81 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi Sarah ~

It sounds like you have some fun plans for the summer! I hope that after you think things through and develop a plan, you and your kids enjoy your summer together while they are little. :D

I like to approach each of our Heart of Dakota guides with the plan of using them to their full potential, but a plan really is just an educated guess. :wink: Sometimes we are able to get as far through our books as we would like to in a given time frame, and sometimes life doesn't let that happen at the pace that we'd like!

If you think that your kids wouldn't mind working on a day or two (or a few half days) per week during the summer, then that could be something that you could plan in here and there as time allows. You could even set up a special hour or hour and a half per day in the mornings with your 9 yr old and just see how much you can accomplish - without a deadline or a goal in mind - which would free up the majority of your summer days!

Even if you end up setting your guide aside until the fall, I don't think that your child will be lacking in anything from it. At 9 years old, there is so much that your child is learning from books and from life. Just think of any life-delay as getting some extra value out of your guide, because you were able to use it a little bit longer before having to purchase the following year's materials! :D Not every child will get all of the way through every last guide before graduating... so even if all of your guides were to take a little longer than a year... as long as you spent time with your children, encouraging strengths and building on weaknesses, and you love that time together... that is all that matters!

Praying that you discover a plan that is right for your family! Have a beautiful summer! :D
~ Sarah :D

Mama of three:
*12 yr old son - Rev to Rev & DITHOR 6/7/8 (completed Res to Ref & DITHOR 4/5)
*8 yr old daughter - Bigger & DITHOR 2/3 (completed Beyond)
*2.5 yr old daughter - Little Hands ages 2/3 options

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:45 am

I totally understand....all 3 of my kids at home have learning delays and they are 'behind' their peers. I struggle with it, but they are where they are! The youngest we put in public school for many reasons (he is 9 and completing 2nd grade and is in 'basic skills' class half the day). My 11 year old should be in 5th grade but he is not able to do that work...he is working at his level (grade 2 in both LA and math) and is doing preparing half speed. Next year he needs to have NY state history so we will take a break from HOD to get that done, but we hope to return the next year and jump into CTC if he can or we can have him complete Preparing first (we just finished Unit 18). My oldest is mildly autistic and has expressive-receptive language disorder. She just turned 16 (10th grade) and just started Rev2Rev this week (it took us 2 years to complete Res to Ref). Just work at your child's level! There are those of us here with kids that are delayed. :) We plan to take a break from some things this summer but will do math & reading with the 9 & 11 year olds. They need it or they will forget what they learned!! I know that *I* need a break. If you need one, make sure that you take one. :)
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:55 am

SarahBrant wrote:Hi friends,

I am very interested in hearing your advice concerning my situation. :) I have a 9 yo 3rd grader in Bigger and a just turned 6 yo in Little Hands + Little Hearts FMS & handwriting + The Reading Lesson. We've had quite the busy school year with weaning, post partum anxiety issues, and the biggest thing that has gotten us behind this year has been my 9 yo's aspergers diagnosis. We already have speech therapy 2x per week and this year we've added physical and we occupational therapy. My just turned 3yo also has a developmental delay and has been receiving speech services. ALL that said... We are only on unit 22. :) I had planned to school through summer to catch up but my kids are seeing their friends going to YMCA summer clubs, swimming at the pool, going to the water park, etc. and they are wishing for summer. I'm wondering what your thoughts would be on my situation. I thought about only taking 4 weeks off for summer and continuing the 4 weeks we have left in the fall. I've thought about going half days through summer. I've thought about somehow reducing the workload while still continuing to move forward... i.e. Doing grammar orally, keeping up with the history and science readings and math and cursive without doing all the activities associated with them... would really love to hear what you would do in this situation. My 9yo receives services through the school and I really don't want him to fall "behind" academically... I think I'm more sensitive to keeping him in line with his peers because of the aspergers and because of all the services and input we get from professionals... Thanks :)
Hello Sarah! It sounds like you have had a busy year full of challenges, but the Lord is truly faithful, and He will be there for you moving forward day by day! Two of my sons had various therapy appointments we had to go to, and the people there were kind enough to give me a small room to teach my other children in during those appointments. I know that may not be something that would work for everyone, but we kind of learned to enjoy it, as it made the time pass more quickly while my little one was at his appointments. As far as BHFHG, I would definitely finish the guide before moving on, as there is no need to race ahead to that which is harder in PHFHG without the needed training the last 13 units of BHFHG. Your 9 yo is still in the target age range doing BHFHG, and there are many children in 4th grade doing BHFHG too. I think it sounds like a break would be healthy for all this summer - I know I need breaks myself to then enjoy the next year more! But, if you are going to add in a bunch of academic stuff (i.e. a read aloud, a math workbook or flashcards, some kind of writing), then it may be wise just to use BHFHG instead. You could set aside 1 hour each day or so, and just move through a day's plans as able. Or, if you are thinking not to add anything for the summer, then I'd just take the summer and start back up with BHFHG in the fall, completing it and making sure ds is doing all he needs to do to be ready for PHFHG. Either way would be fine! We must celebrate what has been accomplished as homeschool moms, and much was accomplished this year for your family, Sarah! You received needed services for your dc, you had a baby and are there for your dc as their homeschool mom and teacher, you are raising your dc to know the Lord, and so much more!!! We paused in the middle of BHFHG for my youngest ds, and he came back ready for more. He just finished PHFHG and is doing great - nothing was lost with a break in the middle of BHFHG. In fact, he grew, matured, and did better at the finish than he had at the start. I know it's hard not to compare, but steady forward progress is the goal. Your son is doing that!!! One thing I will say I'd do - I would continue phonics instruction/reading instruction with your little one through the summer, at least 3-4 days a week. Phonics is one thing to keep the ball rolling for retention and progress. HTH!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie