Plan for highschool?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
GriffinFam

Plan for highschool?

Post by GriffinFam » Fri May 19, 2017 6:22 pm

If I put my 8th grader in RTR because it's a better fit for him now, what do I plan to put him in for 9th grade? I would like him to do the highschool guides in order but that would mean he would do a major history jump. Suggestions?

StephanieU

Re: Plan for highschool?

Post by StephanieU » Fri May 19, 2017 9:16 pm

If RtR is where he places, then he would do Rev2Rev for 9th, MtMM for 10th, WG for 11th, and WH for 12th. The big thing you will have to adjust using those guides are:
1. Making sure you get government and economics credits if they are required in your state. Normally it is easy to beef up what is in Rev2Rev and MtMM for those.
2. Make sure the science plans are enough for your child or switch something out. Rev2Rev is physical science, MtMM would be an elective science, WG would be integrated physics and chemistry (or a semester of each of those), and WH would be biology. For a non-stem major, that is normally enough. But for someone interested in science, you might need to do something else for MtMM and/or WG.
3. Keep math and language arts on level. You can use DITHOR for high school by using high school level literature.
4. Check needed "electives" like foreign language, etc. You might need to add those in for the first two years OR do more the last two years to get all the necessary credits.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

momtofive

Re: Plan for highschool?

Post by momtofive » Sun May 21, 2017 6:22 am

If RTR is where he places, then it's going to be the best place to start. :) As Stephanie mentioned there's plenty of ways to beef - up future guides to be high school credit-worthy. I'll add that since he's in 8th grade, you can always re-assess things at years end, and see where he places at that point. I've had kids actually place ahead of where I thought they would be, after a year of solid skill building. I also wanted to add....welcome to HOD!! ;)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!