Ordering woes...(my own, not HOD's...smile)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carly

Ordering woes...(my own, not HOD's...smile)

Post by Carly » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Okay, I've spent alot of money already this year with Teaching Textbook math, spelling, english, new desks for kids etc..
We have our Child's History of the World book so we can do Preparing, but we've yet to order the book or any of
the read-alouds etc.. Hubby's not happy to spend 100s of dollars on any one product and especially if it's not a 3R!
I'd love to order Preparing and some of the read-alouds, but we'd only be using it for history, geo., and Bible. We're using
many other publishers for other areas. I'm eclectic, can you tell?
Just wondering how or if to approach hubby on Preparing for this year...
We could do CHOW without it, but I really want to do HOD!
Praying for a "yes" from him...

Carly

Vicki

Re: Ordering woes...(my own, not HOD's...smile)

Post by Vicki » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi Carly!

We're still working through Beyond, but I do have a copy of Preparing, as I like to read ahead to see what's up for us in the years to come. I really like the way Preparing flows, and it looks like lots of great fun and learning to be had. Is it possible that you could just get the economy package, then find as many of the other books at your library? Carrie puts such thought and prayer into each manual---it's really evident once you sit down with one of them and just read each unit through. I'd have to say that Preparing is kind of my own bedtime reading right now, and I'm really excited to get there eventually and use this program. If you looked at just getting a Bible study program for this age group you could easily spend over $25 or more for just that one study. You really get a lot for your money when you buy one of Carrie's guides.

I don't know how else to advise you, but just be prayerful---
Moving along at our own pace, and very happy with it!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Carly I know how it can be when you are getting ready for the new year and you have pieced things together to find the best fit for your family. TT is one expensive program I know because we got it. I had to really talk myself into that one and basically let the company know I was using the cd with multiple kids (mine only of course) or else I wasn't buying it. In a nice way of course. :D So I understand but...I have a copy of Preparing in my hand and most of the books in the economy package (you already have one of those books) and that package is just 105.45 ( less than the price I paid for TT and that is just one subject for one kid, yikes! :wink: ). With that package you can have the History, History Projects, the Bible study, Poetry, Dictation (and really spelling as well), Geography, and the awesome Bible study (and it is awesome in Preparing). Plus you get Carrie directing your day in the Teacher Manual. That is a lot! And just that part would be too awesome to skip for me. But then you can decide if you would like to pick a few titles to read aloud that are your most favorite and if you would like the science. But if I was in a jam I would not skip the Economy package for anything. Preparing is awesome! I am so impressed with it. And having Carrie help make my day go smoothly is well worth it to me. I would be sad to skip the rest :cry: but I would not want to miss out on the entire program just to have the best of the best in the three R's. HOD helps with the most important and that is deepening their relationship with The Lord. Preparing really steps it up a notch in that category. Plus HOD gives me my sanity and that can't be skipped for me. I would skimp on everything before I would do away with HOD. And I would be selling my TT on the black market before I gave up HOD. :lol:

But seriously, for less than $100- for you if you have CHOW already you can have the meat of the program and still have a very nice program. And some of that actually in in the three R category as well actually. And it would still be great. I am looking here with pretty much that program in hand myself so I can see that it would still be great. I think Carrie is so awesome for doing that so people can economize if need be. I mean with other programs how would you even figure out how to do that if you needed to economize. She has it written so you have the meat of the program and all of the activities (except of course science) with that package. Of course it definitely adds to the package to have the read alouds and the independent reading for your kids but this is still a very full and complete program. Then if you wanted to stay there you could or else you could maybe decide between adding the science or a few of the read alouds that you feel like you could just not miss. But if you are trying to economize then do not even look at the extension packages, those are optional.

I hope something here helps you. Wishing you well in your decision. I know it is hard when trying to decide finances and hsing. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carly

Post by Carly » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:05 pm

Thanks for helping me think on this some more.

Actually, I already am using something else completely for science, english, spelling and math. I love the Bible study
Carrie includes and also the way she weaves in real books with history. Maybe we could just start with the economy pkg and
try to come by some of the other books at the library or at a cheapie bookstore.
We spent a lot on the 3 CHOW readers I got (one of which was the wrong edition and had to be given away) and the teacher's guide and student workbooks for CHOW. That came out to over 100 dollars already! Whew. I'd love to have the lesson plans and Bible study to go along with our
CHOW stuff. I'll just have to pray about it and see what hubby says. Money's never been an issue with curriculum b/c he gives me a nice budget.
It's just stretched more with TT and other more expensive items this year that I couldn't get used.

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas, ladies.
You've blessed me...
Carly

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:52 am

Praying for you Carly! Maybe the Lord will present a way to find some extra funds - rummage sale? ebay? grandparents giving one of the Preparing... books as a gift? Or maybe you'll just find a $100 in your couch... that's always a great thought to me when I'm in that predicament - our couch hasn't yielded any funds yet, but you never know?!? :D

In Christ,
Julie :)
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie