What about eighth grade?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gragg09

What about eighth grade?

Post by gragg09 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:04 pm

We've been using HOD for a couple of years now with our 2 oldest daughters and loving it! My third daughter is close in age behind the second and so I'm considering combining them in their kindergarten/1st grade years in Little Hearts for His Glory. My question is, what do I do for my third daughter for eight grade since she will complete Missions to Modern Marvels in seventh grade? I hadn't really considered combining any of my kids (5 so far) in the guides, but I'm beginning to see how having all of those separate guides may be a bit overwhelming as all of the kids get older. Thanks for any input!
~Amanda
DD8- BLHFHG
DD6- Using K options from Little Hearts, but saving the guide for next year
DD4- LHTH
DS3
DD1

StephanieU

Re: What about eighth grade?

Post by StephanieU » Fri May 05, 2017 3:25 pm

The answer is you just keep going through the guides. When you get to the end of the Hod guides, you can decide to graduate that child early or have that child take community college classes, do an internship, go on a mission trip, volunteer, etc.
You may find somewhere along the line that your child has to slow down, eating up that year. Or you wait to start until the youngerer is in first grade, and the older one doesn't do the last guide..
Last edited by StephanieU on Mon May 08, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

gragg09

Post by gragg09 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks for your input! I'm going to need to think/pray about it all some more!!
~Amanda
DD8- BLHFHG
DD4- LHTH
DS3
DD1

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon May 08, 2017 8:35 pm

If your child is doing well with what they have been doing and is right at level then you should just keep going. As Stephanie mentioned you can just finish up early and graduate them early, or have them take college classes for that last year of high school (maybe even some before that).

As to what to do with your younger ones who are just getting ready for LHFHG, my advice is don't worry too much about 8 years from now. A lot of things can happen between now and then. I started LHFHG for Kindergarten with each of my kiddos and what with doing 4 days a week in the younger years when there are 5, and other things that have happened along the way (babies, moving etc) it has all evened out. My oldest is right on track to finish the high school guides by 12th grade, if we don't lose any more time. And even if we do, I'm okay with that. I feel like HOD is plenty rigorous and credit worthy.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

gragg09

Post by gragg09 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:32 am

Thank you for your input, Melissa! Kansas is my husband's home state...doesn't seem like we come across too many other people from there! :D
~Amanda
DD8- BLHFHG
DD4- LHTH
DS3
DD1