CtC Young Earth

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mamaurick

CtC Young Earth

Post by Mamaurick » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Hi Everyone!

My son will be doing CtoC next school year and I had some questions that I hope you can answer. How often, or how many units is Young Earth talked about? Or in specific, how often, or how long are Dinosaurs being in the Bible mentioned/discussed? We don't necessarily believe in Young Earth at this point in our journey, but we want to teach it (and many other topics we don't necessarily agree with), we just don't want it to overwhelm our year. Does that make sense? Looking at the sample for the first Unit, it looks like the book "Dinosaurs of Eden" would talk about it, and The Genesis Bible Study. Am I right? If so, how many units does this last? Does the Genesis Bible Study discuss Young Earth for many units?

We LOVE HOD and am SOOOOO excited to jump into CtoC, it looks amazing!!!!!

Thank you for your help!

Stacey

MelInKansas

Re: CtC Young Earth

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:47 pm

So obviously when talking about creation the Young Earth philosophy is evident. The timeline made reflects that point of view, though they are highlighting in there that if you do not subscribe to this view you might omit or change those Timeline entries. Genesis Finding our Roots has an in depth project where you map out the years stated in Genesis, more for the idea of getting an estimate of how many people were alive at the time of Noah for example. I guess this isn't controversial as it is all about man and the geneaolgy in the Bible, but I remember that book, and the one from Answers in Genesis of course, being very strongly emphasizing the young earth viewpoint. So I would say you are spending a lot of your first 6-ish weeks exploring this young earth idea and how the story fits together, but it is not heavy in argumentative materials. I prefer it to just be presented from the materials that support it and painting the picture rather than making this big deal about "you have to believe it because of this." Again, it is presenting this as the true historical timeline. They do present other views later in the curriculum (later years, different guides) and logical discussion about the truth claims of each one. The curriculum is written from that perspective so that is the viewpoint they support, but they definitely also are encouraging critical thinking and logical dialogue as children grow throughout the guide.

It IS amazing and you are going to have a wonderful year!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:03 pm

Just a caveat. Young Earth is prevalent in all guides, for which I, personally am thankful. :D
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Mamaurick

Post by Mamaurick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 am

Thanks! After looking at the sample online, I was feeling that way too. It looks like an AMAZING year and I'm SO excited to start it!!! (is it September yet? :wink: )

Stacey

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:00 am

I always start my school year in July. Just sayin'...

The weather is miserable here in July and so starting early gives us time to take off when the weather is actually nice.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Mamaurick

Post by Mamaurick » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:45 pm

That would be nice! :-) We school year round and will finish up in late June/early July. Then we take August off because we go on vacation every August and start up in September! :-)