Anyone using HOD with McGuffey Readers?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Shelly

Anyone using HOD with McGuffey Readers?

Post by Shelly » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:33 am

I am planning to switch from Sonlight to HOD next year. One thing I did not like about Sonlight was their Language Arts, so I started doing the McGuffey readers. I love the McGuffey readers and want to keep using them. Does anyone have any experience with how this would work with HOD? I see that Language Arts is very big part of the guides and didn't know if I could do both. I use the McGuffey's for my entire language arts program (spelling, grammar, copywork, reading, writing) as they were designed to be.
expat living in Asia, language student, wife, mother to 5 boys ages 9, 7, 6, 4, 2, and a new baby girl

Nealewill

Re: Anyone using HOD with McGuffey Readers?

Post by Nealewill » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:25 am

Yes, you can use your Language arts program with HOD instead of theirs. You would just skip that box when it came time to do LA. When I came to HOD, I was using a specific reading program for my son for a while and he used that instead of DITHOR. It all worked out just fine.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Taramisu

Re: Anyone using HOD with McGuffey Readers?

Post by Taramisu » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Yep, you can use whatever you would like! We used a program called Reading Reflex and then moved to the McGuffey readers for awhile before switching to the Emerging Readers (from Beyond, even though we are still in Little Hearts for His Glory). That's what's so nice about HOD...the flexibility! Hope you love HOD as much as we do! :)