Choosing Studied Dictation level

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tooactiveboys

Choosing Studied Dictation level

Post by Tooactiveboys » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 pm

One of my sons is a natural speller and has been doing the list in the back of Bigger. We will be starting Preparing and I am wondering how to handle the studied dictation. I read in one post that a mom had her child do the dictation at the top of each column until she found what level he needed to be at. Is that the best way to figure out where to place for studied dictation? :?:

I have been making him go sequentially through the list in Bigger, but honestly he is doing more spelling on his own. I want to give him reasonable studied dictations, not too easy or hard. There are many choices of dictations in the back of Preparing. He is on #31 in Bigger... would skipping to another list leave a gap? :?:

Thanks again for any guidance. This group is awesome :D :D :D
Becky
Married to DH 21 years
DS 9 just finishing Bigger
DS 8 just finishing Bigger
Completed: LHFG, Beyond

Tooactiveboys

Re: Choosing Studied Dictation level

Post by Tooactiveboys » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:01 am

Any help on how to pick where to start Studied Dictation or pick a level? I'm sure it has been discussed so a link to it would be helpful.

Thanks
Becky
Becky
Married to DH 21 years
DS 9 just finishing Bigger
DS 8 just finishing Bigger
Completed: LHFG, Beyond

countrymom

Re: Choosing Studied Dictation level

Post by countrymom » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:06 am

I found this in a post by Julie:
As far as dictation, there are wonderful important instructions at the start of each level of dictation passages to follow. As far as placement, in a good placement, a student is probably missing a passage a week or two. If they never miss a passage for months on end, it's too easy. If they miss a passage daily, it's too hard. You can start at the beginning of a level to test it out for a few weeks, and then adjust by moving up or down 25-50 passages as needed. Once a benchmark starting place is best determined, it is best just to keep steadily moving forward. The best starting place for your oldest will be impacted by how much dictation that student has had in the past, as well as how strong of a student he/she is in LA. I'd start easier and move up if needed personally. It's always easier to go 'up' than 'down'! HTH!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC